One to sex

We all know how difficult it is to identify the sex of these fish, so please post a picture in here and we'll try to help you (or at least give an educated guess!).
TwoTankAmin

One to sex

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Hi guys- just one fish, please give it your best opinion on sex- the fish is about 2.75 inch TL :-)

What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
John

Re: One to sex

Post by John »

This is one of them that gives you a headache,while it''s got both male and female characteristics :)
Could you tell something about its behaviour?
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
har_eh

Post by har_eh »

I'm gna say female, she just needs to fatten up a little imo.
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I recently acquired two fish of which this is one and which were acquired as both being males ready to spawn. They spent about a month in a Q tank which was well wooded and planted and into which I had placed 3 different caves. The tank has 3 filters- 2 HOBs and a large sponge.

For the first week both fish hid under or alongside the sponge. Then one took up residence in one of the caves which it basically claimed until the fish were moved into my primary breeding tank. the other fish which is the subject of this thread never even went into either of the other caves. It would hide under the sponge or under some of the wood. It was this lack of caving that made me question its sex.

Despite all of the various pleco spawns I have had over the years I am still awful at sexing my fish. I mostly rely on behavior as the way. Females lay the eggs males own caves and raise the kids.

One note- the fish were acquired because it was my feeling i had lost a few males over the years and my colony was short of them. So I decided to add two new males to spur some competition. Instead of spawning all I was seeing was fighting between 2 males. It seems to have had some effect as an unsuccessful almost 2 day trapping ended without success this week. It was the first action in the tank since I lost the last spawn/eggs in the tank in April this year.
Lifted193
Obsessed!!

Post by Lifted193 »

IMO it's a young male....with a little more growing to do.
I have some males that spends most of their time under slates and wood, rarely do they go into caves.
Jacqueline
Groupie

Post by Jacqueline »

Looking at headshape I would think female. But looking at the thick pectorialfins with the odonthodes on it I will say male for now.
John

Post by John »

Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
davo
Groupie

Post by davo »

Non dominant male the vent has a nice V shape, a female would be more round shape to me. :wink:

:book: Dave
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Interestingly enough one of the people whom I feel is one of the most knowledgeable on hypans has sexed the fish as fm based on the vent.