4 TO SEX

We all know how difficult it is to identify the sex of these fish, so please post a picture in here and we'll try to help you (or at least give an educated guess!).
RAYISKING
Groupie

4 TO SEX

Post by RAYISKING »

I have 4 wild caught tried to take the best pics i could. suppose to be 2 male and 2 female i do not know
RAYISKING
Groupie

Post by RAYISKING »

No help?????? Anyone have a clue does one hiding in a cave mean he is a male. The other 3 are hiding on or near the driftwood. Does that mean they are female the smallest is 2.5 inches
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

The first picture I clicked on to enlarge if this is some help to you the top fish in the picture is male see the pointed v shaped head the other fish has a rounded head I would say female this will be more apparent with correct conditioning to get some weight on her.
The other pictures are not to clear although there is another definate male pictured from below very pointed wedge head this will give you a comparison for the other 2 fish.
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
sam
Obsessed!!

Post by sam »

Top fish on first picture male also pic 3 male
looks like you might have a female in one of the other pictures
good luck :D
RAYISKING
Groupie

Post by RAYISKING »

OK more pics and video i think a spawn was trying to happen not sure. So can everyone look at the video and let me know if this was an attempt to spawn and if it was. Was the cave to big. I have three cave sizes in my tank should I just make all the caves 1.5 width 1 height and 6 long?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72eD5k5lYwg
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

For right now you should breathe into a paper bag and calm down ;).

They're going to spawn when they are going to spawn and not a minute sooner or later. Us trying to guesstimate by really blurry pictures isn't going to change that. In the second pictures it looks like 2 males and 2 females to me, but it's hard to be certain with these fish. Males tend to use caves, yes, but you just haven't had them long enough to really get a feel for their behavior yet.

It's not unusual for them to spawn soon after a major move, but seriously, if they do you're very lucky ;).

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

I agree with Barbie, let them settle in their tank and enjoy owning and caring for such pretty fish the rest will come all in good time
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
RAYISKING
Groupie

Post by RAYISKING »

ONE MORE QUESTION WHAT IF I ADD 2 MORE ANOTHER MALE AND FEMALE IS THIS OK IN A 40 GALLON BREEDER.
Jamie24
Obsessed!!

Post by Jamie24 »

what size tank is the 40g breeder? LxWxH in inches would be good.

by the looks from this pic...

from left to right... you have:

alpha male
female
beta male
young male

id personally keep that number in your tank, only add another female or two. not any more males.

for caves they prefer quite a snug fit, try getting some about 1.5inch wide x 1inch high x 4-5inch long.

hope this helps, Jamie
L046 x 16 + Fry
RAYISKING
Groupie

Post by RAYISKING »

A 40G BREEDER IS 36 LONG 18 WIDE 13 TALL.