HELP!!! L 46 male or female please look! thanks

We all know how difficult it is to identify the sex of these fish, so please post a picture in here and we'll try to help you (or at least give an educated guess!).
donyan

HELP!!! L 46 male or female please look! thanks

Post by donyan »

I have two L 46 zebra pleco. I know for sure that the other one is a male.The 100 percent male has a lot of hair and his face structure is different. I am unsure for this one. The male is sightly near 3 inch and the this one is about 2.5 inch or so. Both of them have different behavior the 100 percent male stays about 70% inside the cave and 30% in front of the cave. The unknown so far has not fight for the cave but likes to be on 1 side of the cave. My setup is plain with bare bottom, 1 bogwood, 1 cave, 1 slate rock above the cave and are housed in a 30 breeder. So far no fighting has occur. They seem to be okay together. Any help sexing this pleco would be GREAT! Lots of pictures hopefully they are good enough for people to sex for me thanks!

Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Looks female to me. She'll need conditioned some before she'll be ready to spawn, IME. How warm is her tank?

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
donyan

Post by donyan »

I'm hoping that its a female thanks :)
The temp is around 85 or so sometimes it drops down to as low as 80 and sometimes near 90 but average is about 85 that I keep it. Why is he/she skinny? Anyone else?
twinspots_goby
Obsessed!!

Post by twinspots_goby »

80 is too low and 90 is too high. Why the temp of your tank flutuates a lot? you need two heaters stead of one to maintain more stable temp for your tank. I believe it's female. What kind of food do you feed her and how many times a day? Try more variety of food and feed her more often. She will be ready soon.
L46 x 24 adults + 60 fries
donyan

Post by donyan »

what food would you recommend? Also, it mostly do stay at 85-86 degree. I'm guessing that it fluctuates because they are kept in the basement and I also have 1 window open. Well its only cooler in the Mourning and sometimes at night.
twinspots_goby
Obsessed!!

Post by twinspots_goby »

shrimp pellets, canivore pellets, frozen brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms, and frozen mysis shrimp. Try to feed them diffrent things as possible.
L46 x 24 adults + 60 fries
donyan

Post by donyan »

thanks so can anyone tell me why you pick that sex. Thanks would help me to understand it better.
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

look at the species info top left of the forum gives you an idea.