Looking for opinions if I have a female

We all know how difficult it is to identify the sex of these fish, so please post a picture in here and we'll try to help you (or at least give an educated guess!).
manuran

Looking for opinions if I have a female

Post by manuran »

Hi All,
Just wondering if I could get some opinions. I have what I think is a rather hair female.:lol: Both animals are about 4 inches
The first picture is my male. He has a very classic wide head from the top. Also, I notice looking straight at his face, he seems to have a flatter and wider appearance. His pectorals are covered in spines. He lives in his cave or right out in front and usually wanders very little. All pointing to male.

Here is where I need your help. My larger "female" seems a bit hairy to me. From the top, it's head is decidedly narrower. It is hairy, but the odonts seem to be long upper ones and much fewer and shorter bottom odonts. Again, from the top there appears to be a gap visible, because of the fewer odonts. It's pectorals don't have many spines at all. From the front it looks taller than the male. It moves back and forth between various caves and is willing to go around most of the tank for food.She is only now starting to put on weight, so she is not bulging yet.
Sorry, that I don't have photos from the top. With the views I do have..do you think it is a female that is just on the hairy side? Thanks in advance for any opinions.

manuran

Post by manuran »

okay, I caught them out. Here are a few shots from above. I also measured them. The "female" is 4" The male is 3.5" (but his tail is damaged, so he's a bit bigger). First pic is the "pair". Second pic is the male, Third pic is the "female" and the last pic is another animal at 3", I would also like to know what people think this third one is. Thanks again.
Miezekatze
Obsessed!!

Post by Miezekatze »

hi

hm, the last one is a little bit hard to say, but from my point of view, all your plecos are male.
Kind Regards
Christian

http://www.APSnet.de
John

Post by John »

Hi manuran welcome :)

My guess would be:

3d pic : male
4d pic : female
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
manuran

Post by manuran »

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

Hi
I am not great at this but I think you have a male and a female. I am going total on the body shape. Either way you have 2 stunners there I like them. :wink:
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

my guess is 2 males :roll:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Looks like one female and one male in the first picture

same male in second picture
Same female in third picture.

fourth picture I wouldn't venture a guess as it looks very young
manuran

Post by manuran »

Sorry, been busy recently and I haven't been visiting here. Thanks for the opinions everyone.

McEve,
That is what I am thinking in regards to sexing. Even in behavior it matches. One thing is that my female is large at least 4 inches TL. The male is about 3.75" (is this a problem? The female being larger?) The last one is actually not that small around 3" TL. It acts like a female too.

New, but related question. The only aggression I see is between what seems to be the 2 females. No one bothers the male (although, they do show interest). The male flares, but doesn't chase the other two. But, the big "female" chases the small "female" regularly. Is this a normal behavior?

Thanks again for all the help
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Yes I 'd agree, one male and one female. The last picture looks like a female to me also btw.

cheers
Plastic Mac