Male & Female

We all know how difficult it is to identify the sex of these fish, so please post a picture in here and we'll try to help you (or at least give an educated guess!).
smilezz

Male & Female

Post by smilezz »

Hi,

Can someone please confirm that i have a male and female pair please?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

They seem to be at that age where it's the hardest to guess :) How big are they? Do you have caves for them? Noticed if any of them have taken posession of a cave?
smilezz

Post by smilezz »

Hi,

The smallest one in the picture is around 6cm and the other one is around 6.5 .

As for caves, i've only got 2 terracotta and a few rocks for them but no signs of them hiding in the cave.
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

My guess is two males.
chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

Plastic Mac wrote:My guess is two males.
me too :?
smilezz

Post by smilezz »

Really? :cry:

Had to be my luck :cry: :cry:

The seller said it was a pair, so i paid a bit more than normal. Dammit :(

Well, look on the bright side, i still have 2 lovely zebs. Unfortunately, i won't be able to afford any more for sometime. They are very costly here in Aus.

:cry:
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

Don't dispair if the zebs are not fully grown & have lots of hair!, i bought one fish as a male which laid last week :)
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Stevie is right, judging by looks isn't a 100% guarantee of their sex (at least when it's not 100% obvious anyway)...how they behave imo is a far better indicator.
I wouldn't be too disheartened, all mine were stated to be male until one day when I had eggs in the cave, so there' still hope :)

It wouldn't be the first time someone has sold two as a 'pair' though, when there's no proof of them being a pair at all. Did the seller imply they had bred before at all?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I'll third that. All mine were labelled as males when I first started. turned out 3 out of 5 was females :)

It's very hard to tell when they are at the size yours are. None of them shows all the characteristics of a male or a female. Both have a crescent pectoral fin (indicates female), none has much odontodes (indicates female), none has a plump body shape (indicates male), both has a rather large pelvic fin (indicates male), both has a pointy nose (indicates male)....

Did you see: http://www.zebrapleco.com/article2.php ? (time to update it a bit a see... :roll: )

Agree with Plastic Mac, behaviour is important to look at at this time. Try putting a cave or two in there and see who takes posession ;)