Interesting Image

We all know how difficult it is to identify the sex of these fish, so please post a picture in here and we'll try to help you (or at least give an educated guess!).
Pete
Obsessed!!

Interesting Image

Post by Pete »

This image was linked on PlanetCatfish (if the link dies at some point, I've got a copy of it that I can upload).. To me the most interesting bit is the shot of the undersides (you may want to magnify the image a bit to get a better idea). If the undersides shown there are typical, it seems like it would be pretty easy to sex these fish if you can get a look "under their hood"..

The way I'm looking at the pic the male's underside has a definate V-shape whereas the female's underside is more curvy. Almost like she's got [not suitable for children] :shock:

So, question is.. Can anyone here that knows for sure the sex of their L046s (i.e. those that've bred I guess) confirm that the difference between males and females from below is well represented by the image here?
It's not an illusion, it just looks like one.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Pete

The link seems to have gone pete. IS this an image in PC or is it one of your own. If it is in PC then maybe a link to the webpage itself might work.

I thin I know what you're getting at, it is definatley worth looking into.

rob
Pete
Obsessed!!

Post by Pete »

The link was directly to its location on the web.

Okay, I've uploaded a copy to my picturetrail account - the first image in the album here: http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid5260806

It's also possible that the direct link to the image in picture trail will work - if so, the image should appear here now: Image
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

I see what you mean pete.

Do you have larger images of the underside of the fish.

If not, does anyone? It could be interesting to find out if there is some comonality with this.

rob
Pete
Obsessed!!

Post by Pete »

These aren't my pics, I just happened across 'em..

Since my L046s are in a bare-bottom tank (and I can look underneath it through the stand) I can certainly tell you that these relatively pronounced differences do exist with my fish.

Mine have only been together a couple days and (not unexpectedly) they haven't been thinking spawning thoughts yet so I don't know whether or not this criteria will let us sex them accurately since I don't yet know for sure the sexes of my fish..

That's why I'm hoping someone with fish that've spawned might be able to assess the image in comparison with their own fish of known sex..
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

My personal experience is that you cannot tell from the underside. I've had males so fat that they would pass as a female judging by the bodyshape from underneath. But of course, under normal circumstances body shape would be one of the things one can look at :)