My bunch

We all know how difficult it is to identify the sex of these fish, so please post a picture in here and we'll try to help you (or at least give an educated guess!).
McEve
Hypan-guru!

My bunch

Post by McEve »

Well, here's my bunch

I know nr one and nr five are males, nr five being the daddy of all the fry.

Nr three and four are females, they have spawned.

The others I'm not sure of, but think nr 6 is a female also. What do you think?

I heard somewhere that it is possible to tell from the size of the pelvic fins. large pelvic fin is male, smaller is female. Is ther eany truth in this? It sort of makes sense if it is like this, as the male is using these fins to keep the cave clean and venting the cave when he's guarding eggs....

But I don't know, It's easy to identify a fully grown dominant male, and if he has a typical female sitting next to him that's easy to see too as she's smaller, and her pectoral fins are thinner seen from above....

I don't find it easy to tell the difference at all :)

Post by Guest »

I think that nr 2 is a male, nr 6, 7 and 8 are females.

I didn't know about the pelvic fins. But rough spines on the pectoral fins are typical for males.
I myself see the diference better in profile. The male has a flatter and rounder head, while the female has a steep forehead.
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

Oh, by the way above is mine, I forgot to login.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Nr one two five and seven should all be males. nr seven tried to sneak his way to spawn with nr three before she thought better of it and went to nr five to lay her eggs :)

So the unsure ones would be nr six and eight, although I belive nr six also is a female. It's always even harder to tell by pictures....

Where's your bunch Cascudo? You say it's above, but I can't see it? :)
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

ohhh it took me two days to understand what you meant Cascudo, not the brightest sometimes am I :? I thought you meant you had posted a link to your bunch, but you meant the post signed Guest was yours.

Stupid me :lol:
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I wasn't so clear myself :wink:
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi McEve

Nice looking fish, no 5 is a cracking male, it's a shame they're not all as "beefy " as him, it would make sexing them a hell of a lot easier!!!

ANyway, sorry it took so long for a reply, but just got round to looking at the link.

2 - male
6-female
7-male
8 - female.

rob
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi McEve,

I believe that the males are 1,2,5,7 & 8.
The females are 3,4 & 6.

Regards,
Des :lol:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Thanks Rob and Des!

Nr8 is the smallest of the lot, so it might be a bit difficult to tell for sure yet what gender it is, but I'm hoping Rob is right ;)

I agree Rob, Nr 5, the alpha male, is a beaut isn't he :D

Only a month ago I was quite sure I only had males, I'm very happy to see that there's at least 3 females in my groups :)

Thanks again!