I found one

We all know how difficult it is to identify the sex of these fish, so please post a picture in here and we'll try to help you (or at least give an educated guess!).
McEve
Hypan-guru!

I found one

Post by McEve »

At an exorbiant price, but I managed to haggle it down a bit.... I just hope I managed to pick a female? What do you think? *crossing my fingers*

Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

I am no expert, not at all, I am sure I can't tell a male from a female, but aren't the leading edges of the pectorals supposed to be thicker and 'spikier' on a male than on the female? The bottom pic shows a nice thick leading edge with spikes, though I have definitely seen spik,ier ones in pics on other sites.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

BTW, the fish is 7 cm long, I just measured it :)

You're right Ed_R, the fish does have odontodal growth on the leading ray, but I have another female with more than this one has, and the male has so much of it that it looks like a black shadow along the fin. Not all males have so much of it though...
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

Like I said, I'm definitely no expert.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I didn't mean to dismiss your opinion Ed_R! I'm just over anxious... :lol:

I'm sorry... I'll be quiet now and let you guys give your opinions :)
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

NO, no! I'm not qualified to GIVE an opnion, honest!, so I couldn't tell the difference if I l had to!
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

I definitely would call that a female. Congratulations! Now hopefully she thinks she is too ;)

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Thanks Barbie! I was well on my way to only look at the proprtions between the fins when trying to identify the gender, but this fish didn't quite fit that characteristic. On the other hand, it has very crescent shaped pectoral fins, it has the pinched look by the gills, and it also has a "forehead". I was hoping this was good enough to identify it as a girl.

It's so much harder to identify a fish when you stand there in the shop, comparing one fish to the other, and thinking I must find a girl! Much easier to look at a picture of somebody elses fish - why is that I wonder :lol:

As you say, I hope she thinks she's a girl as well! There's still a not so small amount of guessing involved, and I'm very happy you think she's a girl as well :D

Rob and Des, Adam and you others - care to share what you think?
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi McEve,

You picked correctly. It surely is a female. 100 % sure.( by body shape- which is a dead give away, short cheek odontodes and odontodes on leading pectoral, not too excessive.)

Regards,
Des
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Thank you :D

From devastation to joy in 24 hours :)
zebra046
Obsessed!!

Post by zebra046 »

congratulations! its a girl in perfect condition, all you need now is to quarantine and fatten her up and she is ready to go.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Thank you! I'm so happy :D She's doing fine after her first night :) It's always a bit nervous when you get a new fish, to see how they acclimatize, but everything is looking fine!

And welcome to the forum zebra046!

Oh, and thanks a lot Adam, now I'm mentally certified thanks to you :P :lol:
KenW
Obsessed!!

Post by KenW »

Congrats McEve. Good luck and Hope she spawns for you soon.
Tom2600
Obsessed!!

Post by Tom2600 »

Congratulations on finding another Zebra! I would also say this is a female, no hesitation! :D
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Thanks both :D

Here's a side view of her after being acclimitized. Please don't change your mind about the gender now though :lol:

I'll make that a link as the picture is rather large

So far she behaves like a female. She has chosen to stay under a pice of slate instead of in the cave available, so I'm pretty confident she will agree she's a she :)