My colony 12 l046 200 liters

We all know how difficult it is to identify the sex of these fish, so please post a picture in here and we'll try to help you (or at least give an educated guess!).
Javibcn91

My colony 12 l046 200 liters

Post by Javibcn91 »

Hi guys,

I have 12 hypancistrus zebra on 200 liter tank, 3 ancistrus and 5 corys.

I know they are still young, they have around 2 years each, except one of them who has about 5-6 years.
Maybe you can tell me their sexes.

I made a short video in the tank, here is the link

https://youtu.be/4uurAxtypF0

Regards from Spain.
TwoTankAmin

Re: My colony 12 l046 200 liters

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Welcome to the site. I tend not to want to sex other people's zebras unless they supply a good shot from below and that shows the tube. Aside from that I use much bigger pictures so I can see the details of things like the odontile growth on the sides of the head and on the pectorals.

However, I would note that zebras are a warm water fish, the typical spawning protocol often has one take them up to 90F (32.2C). Ancistrus will not be happy at such warm temps and neither will most corys. Planetcatfish shows only one Ancistrus that lives at similar temps- triradiatus.

Next, zebras want a diet with a fair amount of meat, ancistrus need a diet tilted towards algae/veggies. To feed the zebras properly you will be feeding the bristlenose way too much meat as they will readily eat it.

I am assuming your goal here is not to spawn these fish in this setup?

Edited to correct spelling error.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Javibcn91

Post by Javibcn91 »

When they will be ready to spawn i will remove the corys an ancistrus.

I know about the diet they need. I feed them mainly meat.

For now i'm not looking for breed them, too young I think. I want first expand the colony with another 12 L046.

Those new zebras will be realy young at the moment, I intend to put them in a separate tank and let them grow for a while.
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Javibcn91- I think you missed my point re diet. The meaty foods are not good for the ancistrus. You cannot prevent them from eating it however,
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.