Need help sexing Plz

We all know how difficult it is to identify the sex of these fish, so please post a picture in here and we'll try to help you (or at least give an educated guess!).
FishLegit

Need help sexing Plz

Post by FishLegit »

I have owned these guys for about 3 years now. Fish 2 is roughly 3 inches in length. I believe them to be a male and female but am still unsure. Fish 1 has two black odontodes that are longer than the rest but other than that Fish 1 is not as hairy as a male should normally be. any information will help thank you.
pair10.JPG
male1.JPG
female1.JPG
pair5.JPG
TwoTankAmin

Re: Need help sexing Plz

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I think, but am not 100%, that fish 1 is Fm and fish 2 is male.

As a rule. the fm sex organ is blob like- rounded and wider while the male's will be longer and more pointed. However, I cannot see the details for fish 2 as clearly as fish1 relative to their underside. But fish 2 also has abit more odontile growth, but not so much as to make it the deciding factor. Plus there are some hairy females out there, making this a less reliable method for sexing.

However, for fish of this age behavior is usually a100% reliable, Males cave and females do not. A Fm may hide or overnight in a cave, but she will not claim it and use it regularly. She will be under wood, hiding in a crevice while a male will often be seen in the same cave. This is especially true when its just two fish. Subordinate males in a colony may not claim a cave since those higher up in the pecking order get to pick the good spots.

Hope this helps.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
FishLegit

Re: Need help sexing Plz

Post by FishLegit »

Thank you for this information, I will be paying close attention to their behaviour.