I've been wondering some time about... algae

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

I've been wondering some time about... algae

Post by McEve »

It's been a while since I noticed that my tanks with Hypancistrus's don't get infected with Black Beard Algae (brush algae). I've been wondering if it was just me taking so much better care of the tanks with the Hypancistus's in it, or was there something else. We all know they don't eat algae right?!

I wonder if I would like to challenge that conviction, and see what you think. The reason I would like to do this is that until a month agao, I kinda settled with the explanation that I was much better at taking care of the tanks with Hypancistus's in it (Zebra's and L260 - not in same tanks), but a recent happening has made me wonder if they actually - intentionally or not - eat the stuff.

Consider this:

This cave came from one of my other tanks, that unfortunately does have an algae problem - not too much, but enough to be annoying. I put it in the Zeb-tank during a refurbishing, and it was much heavier infested when I did this than it is on the picture. I'm not going to insist on this though, as I don't have a picture of it, this was taken some time later. See the algae around the edges of the cave?

Now, a month or so later, it looks like this:

Squeaky clean.

I have three tanks with Hypancistus's. None of them have these hairy algae. I wonder if they inadvertently gnaw them off while actually looking for microorganisms living amongst the algae? Getting their veggies even though they don't want them :D

What do you think..? I'm absolutely open to this being pure imagination, but it sure has made me wonder!
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Nobody has any thoughts on this matter? Do you have brush algae in your Zeb tank? I'm jsut as happy with a yes as a no answer to this :)
discusred
Groupie

Post by discusred »

Hi My freind,

when i saw this post i was just sitting and thinking about i got problem whit brush algae. But i have my zebra and the others Hypancistus's in a big tank, but they are many now (16 togheter) in the tank.

I got 3 more Zebra in yesterday :D Mayby they help whit my problem? (coming upp photo mayby tonight, whit the 3 new one)
husky_jim
Obsessed!!

Post by husky_jim »

Unfortunately the dissapearing of your algae does not proove that zebras eat it.It might disapeared due to different water parameters by the absence of the factor that caused it in the previous tank.

p.s.I also believe that zeby's can eat algae as they do with wood.It is just not the main part of their diet!!! :wink:
[b]Jim[/b]
[url=http://www.aquazone.gr][img]http://www.piranha-fury.com/pfury/uploads/1129493122/tn_gallery_1075_67_7031.jpg[/img][/url]
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Oh goodness no, I didn't think this was proof at all :lol: That's why I wanted to hear if somebody else had noticed the same or not.

I'm sorry to hear you're getting brush algae in your tank discusred! They're a pain!! I have a rouge tank that I never seem to be able to get stable, and without brush algae :( It's simply a pain in the butt :? The cave on the picture above was in that tank for a couple of months.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hey McEve,

I would say that on the whole zebras do not graze on algae unless they are particularly hungry, well my lot don't anyway. However the same can not be said for other Hypancistrus species. The recent lot of "L236" that I purchased seem to be quite fond of a bit of algae and drift wood. There's a large piece of drift wood in their tank that I had soaking in a container outside in the garden. I left it to soak a bit too long because by the time I put it in their tank it had a fair bit of algae growing on it. They made short work of the algae and it was all gone in a few days.

Just a thought, perhaps your male zebra cleaned the algae off his cave so as to impress the females. I have noticed that some of them have exceptional house keeping skills, one of my lot is always fussing around in his cave tossing out any debris that get in there. Come to think of it the outside of his cave looks suspiciously clean too. Maybe an algae encrusted house full of half eaten shrimps is a total turn off for the lady zebras. :lol:
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

I would have to agree with you on that one Adam. My L46 don't care for the algae but my L 236 love it, i see them on the glass sometimes
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Adam wrote: Come to think of it the outside of his cave looks suspiciously clean too. Maybe an algae encrusted house full of half eaten shrimps is a total turn off for the lady zebras. :lol:
Hmmm a bit like females of other species then :lol: Batchelors be warned! :lol:

I wonder if maybe the fry might have gnawed it off, I have one that lives under his uncles cave, maybe he did it. or maybe I indeed do look after the tanks with the Zebbies in it better than the other tanks after all! :oops:

Thanks for your feedback all!
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

In my experience the zebra's aren't pure carnivorous, so it doesn't surprise me that they are eating algues.

I feed my zebra's mainly cathfish sticks, feeding pellets and bloodworms, but now and then they love to eat spinach and cumcumber as well. Also I see them gnawning at algues sometimes.