Are tetras and bristlenose stressful on zebras?

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
planted90
Groupie

Are tetras and bristlenose stressful on zebras?

Post by planted90 »

Hi just wondering what opinions were on having bristlenose(2) and blue tetra(1) mixed in on my colony of zebras? I have a 90 gal tank which is a lot of room for the zebras but the blue tetra does zip through the current alot and goes right down to the sand to pick up food. The bristlenose are in the tank to help clean the glass.

I have had this tank set up for almost a month at 84 degrees and the heat does not seem to bother the tetra or the bristlenoses.

The bristlenoses were put in intentionally but the tetra escaped during a transfer and was a pain to try and scoop out so i left him in there. The bristlenoses are kind of handy because they seem to eat alot of the extra food but boy are they fat.

I would ultimately like it if the zebras would breed, so if these other fish are stressful on the zebras i will have to pull them out.

Thanks

Bob
TwoTankAmin

Re: Are tetras and bristlenose stressful on zebras?

Post by TwoTankAmin »

The bn will want to be in the same places as the zebras. However, bn are much more aggressive than zebras. Also bn are more omnivores than pure vegetarians, so they will eat the same meaty foods as zebras. And never forget that all plecos are territorial.

The tetras wont be a big issue. However, if a tetra gets sick any loss is minimal, unless the illness spreads. I would hate to lose a zebra because a tetra was the cause. With one exception I have always kept my zebras in species tanks. That exception was parking two zebras in with a discus duo for a couple of years.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
planted90
Groupie

Re: Are tetras and bristlenose stressful on zebras?

Post by planted90 »

Well i guess its the better safe then sorry thing here. I am going to catch the tetra and the bristlenoses and give the zebras the tank to themselves. Its too bad though with the upper end of the tank having soo much room, but i guess the plants will soon fill that anyway.

Thanks for the advice
Bob