Mystery Snails

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
1zebra
Forum Follower

Mystery Snails

Post by 1zebra »

I placed a mystery snail in my 29gallon tank about a week ago. The only other occupant of thetank is my 1 Zebra Pleco. I just looked in the tank & this is what I saw. The empty shell of the snail is in the front left hand corner of the tank. The body of the snail is in the favorite cave of my L46 on the other end of the tank :?: Should I remove it. Will the Zebra eat it ?
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Re: Mystery Snails

Post by Stevie.K »

Zebs will eat smaller snails, but I have never seen any remains only shells.
What size was the snail? :)
1zebra
Forum Follower

Post by 1zebra »

Last night I saw my mystery snail & he is alive & well. I believe what I thought was the snails body might have been the remains to an algae wafer. Regarding you saying that Zebras will eat smaller snails, do you know if they would eat malasian trumpet snails? I have a fry grow out tank with 3 L144's bushynose that has a large number of M.T.Snails. Thanks Steve. :idea:
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I doubt zebras have the strength to suck an mts out of its shell. Clown loaches, once they get some size can do this, but not small plecos.

Oops you said Mystery Snail not Malaysian Trumpet Snail- my bad....
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

My Zebs do eat a few MTS, not enough to drop their numbers but still a tasty snack.
I take it you mean moving a few MTS into an adult tank?
You may end up with hundreds, I have started netting them up & freezing them & then feeding them to my clowns, sorry MTS lovers. :lol: