What to look for in a Zebra Pleco?

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
Zoeshiloh
Forum Follower

What to look for in a Zebra Pleco?

Post by Zoeshiloh »

Ok, I am off to see some Zebs on Sunday from a reputable and responsible source. What I need to know from you experienced lot is what to look for!? What does the 'ideal' Zeb look like? Is there particular patterning, thickness of stripes etc which is more admired or anything along those lines? Any help appreciated!
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

Have a look @ the health info in the drop down section of home, this will tell you all you need to know.
All Zebs have different patterning, just go for what you like, just make sure they are black & white. :lol:
Alistair
Obsessed!!

Post by Alistair »

Try and find the age of the fish, avoid any that are less than 6 months old. Look for a nice full body and well shaped fins. Check that the fish have a good long snout, not short and stubby (bull or stubnose). Most of all avoid any fish with red patches on the fins (poor water quality) and sunken eyes (not feeding).
Zoeshiloh
Forum Follower

Post by Zoeshiloh »

Thanks guys! I have read the 'health article' several times now so hopefully I have memorized all the information! They are coming from someone recommended to me on here, and I am told they are very well cared for etc, so hopefully it will be a matter of picking out the 'prettiest'. Well, I am female!!

Alistair - out of interest what is the plec in your avatar? Very stunning!
Alistair
Obsessed!!

Post by Alistair »

it is an L250 from Rio Iriri. Only eight were exported before the area that they came from was turned into a reserve.
GrubbyGirl
Groupie

Post by GrubbyGirl »

Alistair wrote:it is an L250 from Rio Iriri. Only eight were exported before the area that they came from was turned into a reserve.
The holy grail of plecs
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

There are some L-250s for sale on AquaBid at a starting price of $4,500.
This auction is for 1 L250 ( L-250 )Hypancistrus sp. size around 1.20 to 1.40" ( 3.00 - 3.50cm ). Additional 5 fish are available at the auction price.
Yes, they are from Turkey and Imer :wink:

What is more interesting is that PlanetCatfish states in its L number sheet that only 8 were exported and then there are 7 keepers listed for them. If the above seller got 2- ie one of each sex and 7 others have one each :?: :?: :?:
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
GrubbyGirl
Groupie

Post by GrubbyGirl »

TwoTankAmin wrote:There are some L-250s for sale on AquaBid at a starting price of $4,500.
This auction is for 1 L250 ( L-250 )Hypancistrus sp. size around 1.20 to 1.40" ( 3.00 - 3.50cm ). Additional 5 fish are available at the auction price.

What is more interesting is that PlanetCatfish states in its L number sheet that only 8 were exported and then there are 7 keepers listed for them. If the above seller got 2- ie one of each sex and 7 others have one each :?: :?: :?:
When someone asked Imer to send pics of the fry she sent pics of Zebra fry. I think the thread is either on PP or PF
John

Post by John »

TwoTankAmin wrote:There are some L-250s for sale on AquaBid at a starting price of $4,500.
Just keep dreaming about the one and only picture off this L-number and make shure to stay away from auctions like this :wink:
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

John wrote:
Just keep dreaming about the one and only picture off this L-number and make shure to stay away from auctions like this :wink:
The best advise I have seen all day :)
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
GrubbyGirl
Groupie

Post by GrubbyGirl »

It's not good to live life without dreams anyway!!!