Substrate or No Substrate???

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
Zebraholic

Substrate or No Substrate???

Post by Zebraholic »

Hi Everyone!

Just wondering what peoples opinion on bare bottom tank vs. substrate bottom tank? I will be getting some zebras soon and need to setup up a tank for them.

Personally I prefer bare bottom tank coz its easier to clean but apparently was told zebras like substrate such as sand/fine gravel?? If anyone has any ideas I will be happy to hear from them.

Cheers
Brandon
vanillarum
Obsessed!!

Post by vanillarum »

Hey there. I have 15 zebras in a 40 gal. breeder tank with a bare bottom. The 3 or 4 people that I bought my zebras from all had bare bottom tanks also. I think, like you said, it is easier to keep clean. I also have a 20L tank with L400s in it that are currently breeding, and that is also bare bottom (nekkid, if you will !). Good luck.
The line of least resistance makes crooked rivers and crooked men !

William H. Danforth
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

All told over the past 3+ years I have kept zebras in a total of 6 different tanks. One had small gravel because it was a going tank appropriated for zebra growout, the rest have been or are bare.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Zebraholic

Post by Zebraholic »

Thanks very much folks for your input. I will keep them bare. Now I just have to get some furniture for their home!