monday night tv

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

:lol: Doc :lol: I was onto you when I saw there was a long scrollbar in your message though! :lol:

There's more than one episode? :shock:
Adam

Post by Adam »

That's right McEve, there's four more to come :shock: . I've died and gone to fishkeeper heaven :lol: .
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Looking forward to this for sure! Sounds very interesting :)
discusred
Groupie

Post by discusred »

It;s gona be a happy day, when it comes to me!
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out on DVD before long. They're in Brazil at the moment by the way, though I haven't heard mention of the Xingu yet... but my ears are out on stalks listening for place names and species...

And directly afterwards, on BBC2 is another programme about the Amazon but it's about deforestation and farming and the general destruction of the Amazon. Perhaps they'll mention hydroelectric dams in all this. I shall keep watching. It was both interesting and infuriating - people can be so short sighted. Anyway, I think this programme is running parallel to the Abyss programme. An hour of the Amazon each night. Quality!
az1
Groupie

Post by az1 »

Hi All

What the chances of putting it on a open info sharing program like lime wire. If you just put one copy on (prefebly by someone with cable/adsl) then everybody can pick up a copy very quickly.

Cheers

Andreas

ps you will need to post the heading under whih you have posted it
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi all,

Did any one miss seeing the fresh water sponges growing in this particular section of the Amazon,and the various catfish and knifefish swimming amongst them, during part of the program. Even the scientists/camera people were amazed as sponges were only previously known to be in Salt water.
The other program on BBC2 was interesting too with the loggers, farmers and cattle ranchers for the deforestation and the Environmentalists on the other.The governor of Brazil appears to own one of the largest cattle ranches!! It was amazing to see the rate of deforestation,(a lot of it ,illegal) either for logging or for growing crops like Soyabean, or cattle farming,which in my view is likely to have an effect on the Amazon itself a few years down the road.
Looking forward to next weeks episodes.

Regards,
Des.
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

Yeah, I saw the sponges. How cool! So much stuff we don't even know about yet, and yet people are happy to destroy the environment anyway. Who knows what would be lost forever? Makes you sick, doesn't it? :x

I was annoying my partner by trying to shout out the species names before they said it on the TV! :lol: I had a pretty good rate of accuracy too!

Regarding the deforestation, etc, I thought it was interesting that there are really slack systems for granting deeds to lands, etc, and how people get "their" land is to just start clearing it, without permission, and hope no one says anything. Huh?????? :shock: I didn't realise it was as haphazard as that. Part of the problem is that the area is so huge, it's almost impossible to keep an eye on it. And once people have started working the land, they are dependent on the income and will defend it fiercely. I nearly threw something at the TV when one of the main farming spokespeople said something along the lines of "People are the most important thing. If a tree has to die to save a person, then that is what must be done. Humans are the main priority." I am glad I wasn't there in person when he said it... and holding a large blunt object...
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Mindy wrote: "People are the most important thing. If a tree has to die to save a person, then that is what must be done. Humans are the main priority."
I guess I agree with this statement, only it should read "If a tree has to be saved to make sure my grandson survives, then that's what must be done. Humans are the main priority"

It's short term thinking that got him thrown off the main track. I agree that humans are the main priority, for us it is - or it should be. Every species main concern is their own survival. But contrary to...say grasshoppers, or lemens, we should be able to think long term, and realise that it will lead to our own destruction if we use up all the recourses immediately....

I will have to see the documentary before I can say enything more profound though :oops:

This documentary sounds really interesting! I've never even heard of freshwater sponges! Maybe we should try to introduce them to our Zebra tanks - maybe they need them for something? Or maybe they're enemies :shock: ok, I'll take that back, let's not! :lol:

About the deforestation and how to claim land..... it's a large and not very denssly populated country, still evolving, so I'm not really surprised this is how it happens. It must be an almost overwhelming task to regulate the land over there.... it's different in Norway or the UK, it's so small, and people are everywhere. You just wouldn't get away with just starting to clear forest somewhere as somebody is bound to own it - be it private interests or the governement. I'm quite sure there are issues they have to deal with over there that wouldn't even occur to us if we take our own countries as basis of comparison.

Looking forward to seeing it for sure!
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

Ok, the VHS is complete with all the 30 min prog's. I have watched it a good few times now and I'm ready to part with it :lol:

McEve has first dibs (if you still want it).
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

You're such a nice guy Doc :D I think I might have a DVD on the way over the sea, hopefully it will get here in one piece! I'm anxiously awaiting the mailman every day, but so far no pressy for me :(

I'm so selfish I kinda don't want to let go of the opportunity to get your VHS until I see that I've got the DVD... isn't that terrible! :oops: But if you've got other people as anxious as I am to see them then it's only fair to let them go. But I don't wanna! :lol:

Seriously though, fair is fair :wink:
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

Well, how bout I keep it for another few days and I can watch it a couple more times? :lol:
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

:D Sounds like a brilliant idea! :D Thanks, I'll let you know what happens!
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

Can any record a DVD and send me one ....I will pay for the shipping and dvd..
thanks
hamish99
Obsessed!!

Post by hamish99 »

it was my post about the program and i missed the lot, i hate work!!