zebras and snails

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
zebbiefan101

zebras and snails

Post by zebbiefan101 »

hi all! so heres my first of many qs...

can i use a snail killer in my zebra tank? i have TONS of snails in there, and i have been told that the snails will eat pleco eggs. now, my goal is to get that tank snail free. anyone have any suggestions on what i should use to get rid of those pesky snails?
John

Re: zebras and snails

Post by John »

zebbiefan101 wrote: can i use a snail killer in my zebra tank?
`

NO never use that stuff with zebs!

I have many snails in all my hypancistrus tanks and have never lost eggs due to snails, this is a myth.
Snails will only touch unfertilized and fungused eggs.
All i see is the positive side of the snails, they keep my tanks clean in corners that i can't reach :wink:
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
zebbiefan101

Post by zebbiefan101 »

thanks for that info! im glad i decided to ask here first, before doing anything drastic...*phew* is strange, someone on another plec forum told me that the snails would eat the eggs...i guess ppl here are more experienced! :diggit:
carlwhybrow230480
Forum Follower

Post by carlwhybrow230480 »

i had the same thing at the weekend i found dead fish and the snail was eatting them so i got all my fish out of my tank and clear out everthing and then put new water in and now is fine no snail and the fish are happy
zebbiefan101

Post by zebbiefan101 »

thats a really great idea carlwhybrow230480! i may actually do that. though i just got 2 new zebbies, so i think ill wait awhile before disturbing them again.
carlwhybrow230480
Forum Follower

Post by carlwhybrow230480 »

when i done it i took everthing out of the tank

the sand went in the bin
and i have put new caves in there cos snails can live out of water for a long time

if you do do this dont clean out your filtration
then the fish sould be fine

and if you can try and saves some of your old water i didnt cos i had snails in it