tap water problem

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
kingie11
Obsessed!!

tap water problem

Post by kingie11 »

hi all hope you have ideas
i tested my zeb tank today as i do using my api ammonia test kit and to my horror it came back with a reading of 0.50ish mg/l not ott but i always have zero readings and this was after a 35% water change so i decided to test my tap water only to find that it has a reading of 0.50 mg/l ish also i thought it must be the kit so i took some tap water to two local shops and they got the same readings as me what do i do as ammonia is basicaly animal waste why would it be in my tap water any ideas or solutions as at the moment i cant do a water change :x
Steve.
kingie11
Obsessed!!

Post by kingie11 »

ok 25 views no replys am i missing the point or are you not posting because its a stupid thread "its genuine " i need advice
Steve.
Edlund

Post by Edlund »

I think u need to call to the watercleaning compay or was its called in your country and get a list from them to see whats in your tapwater
Highlandken
Forum Follower

Post by Highlandken »

Hi Steve,
The water here sometimes has Ammonia in it too, think its the cheapest way to clean the pipes?
Either get an RO unit, buy RO water from someone else(you'll need to put RO right in it) or you can get Ammonia removal stuff,( i think Fluval do some) although i'm not sure how effective it is
Hope you get it sorted
Dane
Forum Follower

Post by Dane »

If you have some barrels put water in them and put an airstone in with them and leave for 24 hours and re test your water

Dane
Plec List. L134, L201, L46, L260
kingie11
Obsessed!!

Post by kingie11 »

ok so stupid me its the chloramine the waterboard are using i use aquaplus to condition my water says it removes chlorine and chloramine but just used dubble dose and still testing high what are you guys using will the airstone and 24 hour thing work as i have never aged water before
Steve.
Dane
Forum Follower

Post by Dane »

i just use the airstone in the water and leave it

Dane
Plec List. L134, L201, L46, L260
kingie11
Obsessed!!

Post by kingie11 »

well after some phone calls and looking on the tinterweb i conclude the answer is PRIME
Steve.
KenW
Obsessed!!

Post by KenW »

Make sure you get the right test kit from API, salicylate or nessler. I believe the one with the two reagents is the correct one, whereas, the one with one reagent is the wrong one.
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

on a bottle of nutrafin cycle it says that it eats up ammonia and puts beneficial bacteria in you're tank it can be used as a maintenance once a week. maybe this could be added to your water left for 24 hours to see if it sorts your problem then put the water in your tank and you cant overdose the stuff as all it is is beneficial bacteria. i'd give it a try
kingie11
Obsessed!!

Post by kingie11 »

cheers guys this prime is good stuff rather dear :(
Steve.
I_Need_Zebras
Obsessed!!

Post by I_Need_Zebras »

Prime is expensive, but the amount you need makes it last for ages.
[b]Stuart[/b]
Looking for L260's - adult or fry, PM with any details