Zebras eating Neons

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
nick
Forum Follower

Zebras eating Neons

Post by nick »

Hi
I don’t know if this has happened to anyone.
I thought that my Zeb tank was looking empty so I decided to place some Neon’s ok 20 of them they were small 1cm in size into my zebra pleco tank.
The next morning i went to have a look and do my daily maintance on the tank and there were only 5 neon’s left. My thinking what’s going on here.
The following day i was lucky to see one of my larger Zebra plecos dart from his/her hiding place and snatch one of the unsuspecting neon’s from mid water and return to his or her hiding place. I have placed more neon’s in the tank and now I have seen this on a few occasions now.
Has anybody else had this happen to them?
Or do I just have the Hannibal of fish?
Will keep you posted on more events and will try and get a photo of this.
nick
if it is to be then its up to us!
I_Need_Zebras
Obsessed!!

Post by I_Need_Zebras »

Very strange, my zebs are in with Penguins and Cardinals and the plecs just leave them alone completly
[b]Stuart[/b]
Looking for L260's - adult or fry, PM with any details
marsbar

Post by marsbar »

I am sure they will eat dead neons and any dead fish they come accross but I cannot believe they are eating live neons!!!
I have never heard of this happening to other hypancistrus?
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Neons wouldn't be appreciating the temperatures needed to keep zebras happy. It's possible they are grabbing the ones that are slower or weaker, definitely. If your zebras consumed 15 neons overnight, they were VERY hungry. I'd concentrate on why, personally. I have kept a lot of fish with zebras and other Hypancistrus over the years without any predation.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
CDNAqua
Obsessed!!

Any video of these neon attacks?

Post by CDNAqua »

Any video of these neon attacks? Be very curious to see. Please post.
nick
Forum Follower

Post by nick »

Hi
I’m sorry to say that my fish have been behaving, no more attacks on Neon’s i still have the 4 that were originally put in /survived they are big i think too big to be eaten. But if anything changes ill keep you posted.
if it is to be then its up to us!
twinspots_goby
Obsessed!!

Re: Zebras eating Neons

Post by twinspots_goby »

nick wrote:Hi
I don’t know if this has happened to anyone.
I thought that my Zeb tank was looking empty so I decided to place some Neon’s ok 20 of them they were small 1cm in size into my zebra pleco tank.
The next morning i went to have a look and do my daily maintance on the tank and there were only 5 neon’s left. My thinking what’s going on here.
The following day i was lucky to see one of my larger Zebra plecos dart from his/her hiding place and snatch one of the unsuspecting neon’s from mid water and return to his or her hiding place. I have placed more neon’s in the tank and now I have seen this on a few occasions now.
Has anybody else had this happen to them?
Or do I just have the Hannibal of fish?
Will keep you posted on more events and will try and get a photo of this.
nick
That is cool! I wish I could ever observe my zebs out for hunting. Please please record that next time you see it. I believe everyone wants to see it.
L46 x 24 adults + 60 fries
gtp
Groupie

Post by gtp »

Are you sure the filter didn't just swallow the Neon's? It doesn't take much and in a Zebra tank I can't imagine many Neon's surviving the intake.