Wild zebra pleco import question.

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
Zebrapl3co
Obsessed!!

Wild zebra pleco import question.

Post by Zebrapl3co »

Hello,

Just wondering if you guys notice that there has been any wild zebra plecos imported to your local store recently? I am not %100 sure that they are wild because the store owner is BSing alot of excuses about them being captive breed. But I suspect that they are wild because they are consistent with the size of wild caught before the ban too place. As in they range from 2.5" - 3.5". He claims that they are not genetically related and all that crap. But really, how can you get 8 or 9 zebras that are not genetically related in this age and time from a single breeder? Not to mention that their difference in size. It's doesn't make sense to me.
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

They could be tank bred - my wild caught males are massive around 4 - 5" these are at least 7 years old (thats how long I have had them) and bought well before the ban however my wild caught females are a lot smaller the smallest being 2.5" so it depends on there sex males being a lot bigger. There are a lot of cases if you have a good look around where wild caught L046 are being offered for sale over and over again from the same sources which makes me wonder where they are coming from obviously the export ban is not 100% effective. If they are all tank bred the same or similar size and all came into the shop at the same time it is likley they came from the same source so there is a good chance that they will be related, if you are intending to go ahead a buy some maybe get one or two then others from a diffrent source at a later date, you found these more will come along again.
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
rickylbc
Groupie

Post by rickylbc »

There has been some wild caught being imported, I know of someone that has about 100 of them..