Price for zebras ?

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
vanillarum
Obsessed!!

Price for zebras ?

Post by vanillarum »

Hi gang. I'm new at this but am hoping to get into collecting and breeding these awesome fish. Is there such a thing as a ballpark price for these fish ?
I was offered some at $700 per, but thought that was really high ? Am I being unrealistic, or can I maybe find some at least a little bit less expensive ? Thanx.
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

Where do you live?
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I can only tell you what I sell my smaller ones for. In lots of 5-8 fish, $125 each if picked up and $150 if I ship with a live arrival guarantee.
I have never sold them smaller than 1.25 nor much larger than 1.5 inch.

If I were looking to buy more breeding age/size fish, unproven, I would be willing to pay between $250 and $300 for males and a bit more for females. Proven fish are seldom seen for sale and when they are I would be darn sure of that fact before I put down the amount of money they cost.

Bear in mind what I would pay is somewhat slanted by the fact that I already have a breeding group that has done quite well for me so far.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Zebrapl3co
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebrapl3co »

It's a bit more expensive in Asia and Europe.
However, in the retail sector in North America. The prices for a sub to full adult is $499, that's the retail price.
John

Post by John »

Have to disagree here, cheapest zebs are still to be found here in europe mainland (germany).
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
Adam

Post by Adam »

Have to agree with John, I have seen tank breds go for as little as 70 euros a year or so back(Germany).
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

I also agree the cheapest I have seen is in Germany.

The "price" of zebras is a hotly debated issue on this site, but thankfully it is something that people are beginning to discus with a little more diplomacy than previous. It all boils down to what is available in the area and what someone is swilling to pay. If you see some for sal for $700 and everyone refuses to pay, then the cahnces are it will be back for sale for cheaper. Or if we try to offer them alternatives for cheaper, then the higher proiced fish become less attractive. :lol:

My opinion would be, if you can wait, Iam sure youwill fin them cheaper. PLus the more we refuse to pay the high prices, the sooner they will come back down to earth again ;-)

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
KnaveTO
Groupie

Post by KnaveTO »

Agian... price is relative to your location. I have NEVER seen a pleco go for under US$400 on any of the auction sites or retail.

Even the Germans are selling for anywhere from US$400-US$600 plus shipping on the North American auction sites.
John

Post by John »

KnaveTO wrote:Even the Germans are selling for anywhere from US$400-US$600 plus shipping on the North American auction sites.
:lol: It's not hard to guess a sellers name to those auctions, believe me those prices are not to be paid in germany, i drive over there at least 3 times a year it's only 250 kilometers for me.
Greetings,
John
Zebrapl3co
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebrapl3co »

There's nothing to agreed or disagreed on.

Germany is not Europe.
And private sales and retail prices are two different story. Retail prices will almost always be 2 times of private sales.

So I agreed to disagreed with your disagreement to my claim. LOL.
John

Post by John »

Zebrapl3co wrote:Germany is not Europe.
Disagreed :lol:
Greetings,
John
Edlund

Post by Edlund »

John wrote:
Zebrapl3co wrote:Germany is not Europe.
Disagreed :lol:

Dunno didnt u know that german is in Africa! :lol:
I_Need_Zebras
Obsessed!!

Post by I_Need_Zebras »

John wrote:
KnaveTO wrote:Even the Germans are selling for anywhere from US$400-US$600 plus shipping on the North American auction sites.
:lol: It's not hard to guess a sellers name to those auctions, believe me those prices are not to be paid in germany, i drive over there at least 3 times a year it's only 250 kilometers for me.
Hi John, if you visit Germany regulary, is there any chance you could pick up some adult females zebs, will send money first etc etc.

If your up to this can, you pm me.
[b]Stuart[/b]
Looking for L260's - adult or fry, PM with any details