ILLEGALLY EXPORTED FISH BEING OFFERED FOR SALE!!!

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
Jo's Zebs

ILLEGALLY EXPORTED FISH BEING OFFERED FOR SALE!!!

Post by Jo's Zebs »

Ok in sales and wants there is this add " L 46 Zebrapleco directly from the amazon in all sizes"
Presuming it is true does that not go against everything this site stands for???? mods get it gone its wrong and what the hell is that white thing?.
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
John

Post by John »

Only the admins have moderating powers in the private sales and wants section Jo :oops:
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
Elaine
Groupie

Post by Elaine »

Saw that add earlier today and wondered why it had been allowed myself.
I am relatively new here and didn't like to create , but I agree 100% with Jo
- what the hell is it doing here of all places ?

A white Zeb ? Surely they are taking the mick ?
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

While I concur with the opinions expressed above, the wording of that sales listing does not indicate when the fish were imported. There is some chance they may have come in before the Brazilian ban.

If I were to sell my breeding group I would list them as willd caught zebras but would also have the common sense to say that they were imported prior to the ban and have been in country for well over 5 years.

\I would suggest that administaration here should delete the listing and contact the sellers to try to ascetain if they are illiegal or legal exports. I would put a note in the deleted thread stating the listing will be restored if site admins can confirm that the zebs were legal exports. Cearly the sellers do not speak English as their primary language and they may not realize how their listing reads to those who are native English speakers.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Everyone take a deep breath please, I was sleeping. You know, that thing most people do at night ;). The ad has been moved, the author has been contacted, prior to me reading this post. If you read the rules, the post was obviously against them. The fact that something hasn't been done immediately doesn't mean we're in support of it.

Just as a note, if you click that "report a post" button rather than just vent about how things are being handled incorrectly, I'll get notification of it sooner. Luckily I was here checking on things while I got my caffeine levels up first thing, I guess. ;)

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
KnaveTO
Groupie

Post by KnaveTO »

I know I am going to not exactly be on some peoples favorite list with my posting... but...

I read the rules.. there is nothing in them about the sale of wild caught Zebras... either legally caught or not. There is something in there about commercial sales and I would guess that is how Babrie contacted them over the post.

There is also a rule about using all caps too....

I understand your outrage about the posting... I however do not sympathise. If that country is going to gut IBAMA, allow a dam to be built that will, according to dozens of scientists, kill upwards to 100's of species of flora and fauna. Then I have less hatred of those that capture these fish than I do of the government of Brazil.
kingfisher
Site Admin

Post by kingfisher »

Please use the reporting facility next time, folks. Its the exclamation mark up to the right on the post.

A PM to me or any other admin will also work. I was in meetings all day, so couldn't see this until now.
[url=http://www.alpakka.org][i]Alpacas FTW![/i][/url]
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Perhaps you could read the rules for the classifieds forum yet again ;).

http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1314

Everyone is welcome to their own opinion about the ethics involved in all of this, but Rob owns the site and he wrote the rules. We just enforce them.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
KnaveTO
Groupie

Post by KnaveTO »

I stand corrected then. When I was revieing the rules I was reading them from the Rules and Info thread from the first page.

however my opinion still holds.
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

I understand your outrage about the posting... I however do not sympathise. If that country is going to gut IBAMA, allow a dam to be built that will, according to dozens of scientists, kill upwards to 100's of species of flora and fauna. Then I have less hatred of those that capture these fish than I do of the government of Brazil.[/quote]

Watched a documentory night a few weeks ago on descovery on this issue you are indeed correct in what you say here the Brazilian goverment want more pasture land to grow beef for export and in there eyes say the rivers and forests do not support much wildlife at all justification based on a lie. However they did state that if the rest of the world wanted to stop them from destroying the rainforests and rivers they would want payment from the rest of the world goverments "pay as you go national parks" once again all boils down to hard cash.

Sorry for using caps and sorry for not using the report button
KnaveTO
Groupie

Post by KnaveTO »

An interesting counter to that 'payment' requirement could be the fact that we already give them International Aid (both the US and Canada I believe) in the form of interest free loans. So we are paying them. Second the fact that the Amazonian Rain Forests are one of the major recyclers of co2 to o2 on the planet. So why should the rest of the world stan idly by as they destroy that which keeps the rest of us alive. I hate spurious arguments that defend a governments actions... LOL
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

Could'nt agree more :)