Amwell Aquatics

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
marsbar

Amwell Aquatics

Post by marsbar »

Does anyone know much about Amwell Aquatics, they have some zebras for sale at the moment, just wondered if they are a quality-reliable source to purchase zebras from. bit on the expensive side at £395 but they have adult fish.
I may have to break the bank to buy a female of them, must be mad!!!
My male zeb has settled into his new tank and is feeding well.
Elaine
Groupie

Amwell Aquatics

Post by Elaine »

Hi,

Be careful - these fish are classed as small and at that size almost impossible to sex.

If you look back posts check the one titled 'Brazilian F1' - caused a bit of a stir at the time.These are the same fish I referred to and decided against purchasing.

If you do decide to buy- haggle on the price. They were prepared to cut it quite a bit for me and waive the delivery charge. Ask for pics ( they sent me some),and you will see for yourself just how small they are.

Take care as you are talking a lot of hard earned cash here !!

All the best
Elaine
John

Re: Amwell Aquatics

Post by John »

marsbar wrote: bit on the expensive side at £395
Award nominated for understatement of the year imo :wink:
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
Line
Groupie

Post by Line »

Hello

There is a lot of ways to spend money ;)

Here an example:

Flight Britain - Switzerland - Switzerland - Britain: 130 £ totally (we had a visit once from Britain, that was the price for 1 person) Okay - probably an fine offer ;)

Zebra Youngsters 5 cm swissmade from LFS: 75 £ each

Invite a dear friend for a weekend on ski in Switzerland;)

Prices are pretty much the same in Germany.

No risk - a lot of fun by collecting them yourself.
There are things unpayable - for everything else there is mastercard *laugh*

But worth considering, right?

Best regards
Line
Zebrapl3co
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebrapl3co »

LOL
TDI-line
Groupie

Post by TDI-line »

Hi Marsbar,

I'm quite local to the area, and i visited the Soham branch of Amwell last week.

They have two for sale at £495 each! (if you check there website the prices start from £395 somehow).

I got one of the guys to show me the 2, they were a fair size, around 3".

But wasn't keen on there tank mates, adult clown loaches and adult angel fish, and there was a few too. So you can imagine the zebs probably weren't getting the lions share.

I said to one of the members of staff who was very helpful, you know your way out on your price, and he rang his boss and got £100 knocked off each fish if i bought both. He said also between the stores they had had 25 in, and had 17 left (most be in the other branch), and they had sold at £495 each.

Good luck with your search.

TDI/
KnaveTO
Groupie

Post by KnaveTO »

This really goes to prove that price is relative to location. For about the same size of pleco I paid CA$450 at a LFS about an hours drive outside of where I live. Will be getting 4 more at the same price in a few weeks too.

Good luck with your new purchase and looking for more!
civicr
Obsessed!!

zeb

Post by civicr »

if it was me id not be paying anything like that for a zeb even if there was £100 knocked off.id rather wait find some cheaper 1s over the net and collect in person.i got zebs drove to me by the seller as he had a few stops on the way

london-scotland all zebs arrived fine and are doing well
BooUrns!

Re: zeb

Post by BooUrns! »

civicr wrote:if it was me id not be paying anything like that for a zeb even if there was £100 knocked off.id rather wait find some cheaper 1s over the net and collect in person.
Agreed. Paying ridiculous prices like that on encourages other vendors to raise their prices. These fish are being bred in captivity and the supply is not dwindling. It's difficult to locate breeders and this anonymity allows sellers to overcharge as most people can't find a lower priced competitor.

These fish are not a commodity and should not be priced as such. As hobbyists we should be trying to encourage the proliferation of these popular fish, not capitalizing and discouraging distribution of them through overcharging.
TDI-line
Groupie

Post by TDI-line »

I should of added, i did walk away from these sky high prices, and managed to buy some from a few members here. :lol: