F1's how can you tell exactly?

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.

Honestly who could tell an f1 from a f2 as it were i suppose.

yes
No votes
no
100%
Don't understand what an f1 is
No votes

Total votes: 13

siming1
Groupie

F1's how can you tell exactly?

Post by siming1 »

You have all these people claiming that there zebras are f1's but how do you actually know for sure?
I mean they don't come with papers do they?
And im sure that no one on this web site has seen them being caught.
So unless they have a body defect and don't look quite right then a healthy zebras just look like zebras as beautifull as they are.
Last edited by siming1 on Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
siming1
John

Post by John »

Sorry , you've got me lost here, i don't understand it :?
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
siming1
Groupie

Post by siming1 »

John wrote:Sorry , you've got me lost here, i don't understand it :?
Well people sell suposed F1 zebras meaning they are 1st generation offspring from wild caught zebras.

But what actual proof do they have of this?
What is the difference in F1 zebras and zebras ten generations down the line?

Obviously if you inbreed then there are high chances of deformities and in
most cases these will be visible to the eye.

But if they are bred from different blood lines all zebras were wild when they were caught in the begining so whats the actual difference?

Is word of mouth really enough?

If a dog is a pedigree/pure breed then they have papers?

Is there anyone out there with F1's that has any proof?

What is everyones views?

Please vote honestly. :?:
siming1
siming1
Groupie

Post by siming1 »

It seems to me there are a lot of people out there that have read the topic but no one want's to vote in the poll.

Why is this?
Is the point im making a good one, and people don't like to admit there fish are no different to everyone elses?

Or does everyone not understand the question?

The topic about Brazilian F1's.

All fish shop's are a rip off really who's to say that what is stated is the truth or just a way to put a zero on the end of the total?

If i was going to spend that sort of money on some fish i would want paper work to prove where they have came from!

Someone had wrote a reply to that topic (sorry i havent remembered your name) but they said i would rather buy some juvies and wait a couple of years, seems like a much wiser plan of action.
siming1
John

Post by John »

Ok , i understand it now :)
IMO nobody can tell the difference between F0 F1 or F2 if the fishes are fullgrown and in good condition.
Personally i would prefer F1 or F2 as those are allready tankadjusted and will breed more easy then F0 fish.
(hold your horses tta :lol: )

BTW if the question would be: Could you tell the difference between F1 and F2
Then it would be more clear for all i think.
Greetings,
John
siming1
Groupie

Post by siming1 »

So how would you know you are purchasing an F1 or F2 zebra?

Have you read the artical about Brazilian f1's?

Im sure there are people out there that have F1's but to state you have an F1 without proof and sell at such high prices is wrong.

People say make sure they come from a reliable source, and a lot of people buy these fish thinking they have done so.

But remember this my fellow aquarists.
A true buisness man or woman has no freinds in buisness and is out there to earn there living, without any paper work to prove exactly what they are they can sell them as what they like.

Like the woman in the article "Brazilian F1's" she was uncertain of there sex let alone where they had came from, and no offence to her she didn't sound the L046 expert yet she stated "Who can actually say they own a pair of Brazilian F1's."

Now what do you think made her think that she was going to pay such a high price?

Sounds like a clever marketing scam to me!

Do you actually think there going to produce any more, or any higher quality Zebra than two Zebras with different blood lines bred by your average joe?
siming1
siming1
Groupie

Post by siming1 »

John please explain your abbreviation
BTW
siming1
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

I think that it is all down to the sellers / breeders:
1. knowledge of there fishes origin
2. Breeders honesty
There should be no more imported wild caught L046 avaliable that are not already here.
The chances of owners selling there wild caught zebs are slim.
If you own these fish and breed them you know you have F1 offspring and sell them accordingly.
Its all down to the breeders honesty when selling.
Also thought if you have a wild caught male breed with a F1 female what is that then called a F1.5?
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
John

Post by John »

By The Way
Greetings,
John
siming1
Groupie

Post by siming1 »

Jo's Zebs wrote:I think that it is all down to the sellers / breeders:
1. knowledge of there fishes origin
2. Breeders honesty
There should be no more imported wild caught L046 avaliable that are not already here.
The chances of owners selling there wild caught zebs are slim.
If you own these fish and breed them you know you have F1 offspring and sell them accordingly.
Its all down to the breeders honesty when selling.
Also thought if you have a wild caught male breed with a F1 female what is that then called a F1.5?
So don't you agree that with no proof and just out of pure talk that anyone selling Zebras as f1's at high prices is wrong?
siming1
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

No not at all. It is down to the individual selling the zebs and how much there own honesty means to them.
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

I wouldn't really care if I got F1, F2, etc. zebras. Just as long as I know they are from different bloodlines.
siming1
Groupie

Post by siming1 »

crazie.eddie wrote:I wouldn't really care if I got F1, F2, etc. zebras. Just as long as I know they are from different bloodlines.
My point exactly if fish are not inbred and bred from different blood line there actually going to have just as strong gene pool as wild caught
siming1
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

I see now I thought it was if anyone could tell a F1 from a F2.
I have no prefrence. If I buy in any youngsters I always make sure they have no connection to my own colony and are healthy.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

It's actually quite easy to tell. If the person you buy zebras from has been raising them for more than 7 years then it would be remotely possible he was selling F2 or later generations. Ask around, there aren't very many of them. Anyone else would most likely have acquired their zebras from a few sources, which essentially reopens the gene pool and makes them again F1 fry. F1 is used to denote first generation from wild in fish circles, but it actually stands for filial generation, meaning numbers of breedings back into the group.

With that said, I've worked very hard to be sure that all of my customers are happy with the purchases they've made from me over the years. There's no real purpose to lying about this. F2 zebras would actually be more attractive to me, as they should be easier to spawn. You're operating from the standpoint that F0 or wild zebras are the ideal and I just personally don't feel that to be the case. You can easily breed unrelated fish without them needing to be wild to accomplish it.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]