Brazilian F1

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
Elaine
Groupie

Brazilian F1

Post by Elaine »

Hi,

Hope I'm in the right place.Got the chance of buying some adult female zebs -
Brazilian F1 apparently. Need a second morgage to pay for them.
Any of you guys got these, or come across them before ?

Your help is greatly appreciated
Elaine
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

All my breeders and adults are wild caughts. However, they were all caught before the export ban. Unless you are pretty sure these fish came in before the ban, I would not buy them simply because it is wrong (imo) to support the illegal importation. Normally F1 refers to 1st generation tank raised and born. Since you included info saying they were Brazilian, I assume you mean they are wilds not F1.

Adult fms, let alone wilds, are pricey and not easy to find. So if they are "legal", go for it.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Elaine
Groupie

Brazilian F1

Post by Elaine »

Hi

Thanks for replying.
They are being sold by a reputable aquatics store that specializes in the rare and hard to come by fish. It is this store that labels them as Brazilian F1. I must admit I was a bit confused by this as they claim they are not Wilds but tank bred.
I asked for pics and was sent them to my phone. They look like young adults about 3''+. As far as I can tell ( I'm no expert ) they do actually look female.
They do carry a hefty price tag, but would be well worth it, if all above board.
All this said, why are the alarm bells ringing. Like you I feel very strongly about the sale of wilds in the present climate.

Not quite sure what to do here.
Thanks again for taking the time to reply
Elaine
dave
Obsessed!!

Legality

Post by dave »

The post from TTA is incorrect.

The export from Brazil is illegal, the importation of this fish is not unless you live in Australia or New Zealand.

While I do not like posting on this site, and said I wouldn't, when I see something that is so blatantly incorrect, and many people on this site know it is the case but have not posted, I have no choice.

Personally I wouldn't touch any L46 that was said to be exported from Brazil as it only increases pressure on the wild stock.

Take care

Dave
Elaine
Groupie

Brazilian F1

Post by Elaine »

Thanks for your reply Dave.
Your views have been noted.
I think I am going to have to dig a lot deeper into this and try and find out
exactly how these fish ended up in one of our aquatic stores.

Kind Regards
Elaine
Jo's Zebs

Re: Legality

Post by Jo's Zebs »

While I do not like posting on this site, and said I wouldn't, when I see something that is so blatantly incorrect, and many people on this site know it is the case but have not posted, I have no choice.

:police: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :lolf:
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
Elaine
Groupie

Brazilian F1

Post by Elaine »

Thanks for the reply Jo, but am I missing something here ?

I might just be a bit thick but I don't follow !!!!!!!

Cheers
Elaine
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

it's a long story :roll:

I'd be willing to bet they are tank bred from wild parents.
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Pardon the semantics Dave, but you are splitting hairs here. I did refer to the export ban. If a fish leaves a country illegally, then I would say it was an illegal import. By that I mean if somewhere in the process of getting it outof country A and into country B, laws were broken, then it is an illegal fish.

I must say I preferred it when you stayed on vacation. Your tone is rude and your attitude is poor as well. As I said before in one of your earlier "I don't like this site and I am gone." posts. You don't have to do anything but stay away to keep yourself happy. And it might also keep those of us who participate here happier as well.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Please people, keep it friendly. Dave, your choice of words is yet again inflammatory and rude. If you'd like to make a point, please, do, but belittling the same people you're gifting with your presence is a sure way to receive a less than warm reception. It's basic social skills. If you don't want to post here, don't, but if you do, please keep in mind that you're a guest.

Enough said on the topic of how to behave. Now back to our regular scheduled discussion ;).

I don't know that there actually IS a restriction on exporting F1 zebras from Brazil, if they can prove they're tank raised. That's something we'd need Daniel to weigh in on, I'd think. It wouldn't affect the wild population in the slightest.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Elaine
Groupie

Brazilian F1

Post by Elaine »

Hi Barbie,

Thanks for your reply. I have quite strong views on the illegal import of wild caught zebs and would not entertain purchasing them.
I have contacted the store again and they assure me that they are tank bred.
I have been searching for these little guys for a long time now and had never come across 'Brazilian F1' which was why I posted the question in the first place.
If I have unwittingly opened an old wound , I apologise.

Kind Regards
Elaine
Elaine
Groupie

Brazilian F1

Post by Elaine »

Thanks for your reply smithrc. From what I have been able to find out I agree with you. Tank bred from wild caught parents. Still don't follow the 'Brazilian' bit though.

Cheers
Elaine
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

I guess because the wild fish come from Brazil ;)

I'm going to ask a sensitive question...

How much and how big (you said adults so I'd assume 4")??

Most of the people on here that are breeding have F1's from wild parents (ours are)
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
Elaine
Groupie

Brazilian F1

Post by Elaine »

Hi smithrc,

No, they said just over 3''. At first they wanted £495 but dropped the price to £1200 for 3 females and would waive delivery charge ( big deal ).

Couldn't anyone with a wild caught breeding group claim to have Brazilian F1
young , or have I lost the plot completely ?

Really wasn't joking when I said I would need a second morgage !!!!
Not at all sure about this though.

Cheers
Elaine
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

Please be careful that is a lot of money for 3 zebs although they are worth what anyone is willing to pay.
Do they guarantee that they are female 110% (Have they the proof required have they had spawns from them this is the fool proof way to be sure of sex)
If they are from a good honest source and they say they are tank bred it is likley that they are. I feel uneasy about spending large amounts of money on anything, bought a new car last week it worried me sick about all the things that could be wrong but werent I think this is just human nature to be cautious.
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk