SNAIL PROBLEM

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
steflo46

SNAIL PROBLEM

Post by steflo46 »

Hi. I am moving my zebra pleco into another tank i have set up. The tank it is in at the moment is 36x15x12 the tank has alot of cone snails in it. I was going to move the zebra into the new tank anyway. There will be no fish in the original tank. Anyone got any good suggestions on how to get rid of these little suckers. cheers. :twisted:
bonsai
Obsessed!!

Post by bonsai »

Hi steflo, have you tried sinking a slice of cucumber on a nail and then in the morning, you will find it COVERED with the rotten things! :wink: All you have to do then is scoop them out. Your other fish might enjoy the cucumber too, (and if you wish, you could crush a few up for them :tup: )
Last edited by bonsai on Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These are beautiful little babes!
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi

Post by dave »

Flubenol 15 gets rid of them, about 5 times the recommended dose, may have to do this twice.

The biological filter will stay intact.

It doesn't kill all snails but works on the Malayan Cones.

You can get it mail order from Leicester Discus.

Best to do it on fishless tanks as the mass death may cause pollution.

Take care

Dave
bonsai
Obsessed!!

Post by bonsai »

Hi Dave, We've tried using chemicals but all it seems to do is clog up the filters with the debris! If the cucumber trick still hasn't worked, try a few ClownLoach :twisted:
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi again

Post by dave »

Well it works for me, and 100% removal of Malayans, I have done it on 4 tanks to date.

It can take up to a week for all the snails to die.

As for clogging filters, not really a problem, I over filter and clean every day.

This is the only chemical way for 100% removal of cone snails that I have found.

Take care

Dave
steflo46

thanks

Post by steflo46 »

cheers for your help guys. I think my first plan will be to stick some clown loach in. If this dont work then i will by the chemical. Thanks again for your help :wink:
bonsai
Obsessed!!

Post by bonsai »

Hiya steflo, pleased to have helped with the rotten things! (We've got them in the guppie tank, but every now and again we give the other fish in my room a treat). SNAILS FOR DINNER :tup: