Corydoras Weitzmani Spawn, Help Needed!

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Corydoras Weitzmani Spawn, Help Needed!

Post by andrewcoxon »

hi guys,

iv had my group of weitzmani's for about 5 months now and last night after a cold water change they spawned for the very first time! some on mosses, some stuck to the tank and the majority on the bottom of my fluval 1. so iv collected as many eggs as i could and iv got them in a floating breeder trap with the moss they we're laid on and the bottom of the fluval. they are in about 2.5" of water, with an airstone in there also. is this set-up ok? this is the first cory iv spawned and i dont really know what im doing! so any help or advice would be great if anyone has bred cory's before! il post some pics as soon as i can.

how long until they hatch? what do i feed the babies ect? hows best to avoid fungus?!

all the best,

andrew
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I dont know if it is available there, but Methylene Blue would be the antifungal of choice. You need to remove it from the water using wc and carbon when you see wigglers which should be in about 5 days. The hatching tank should have an airstone and a heater. It should not have a light over it until after the eggs have hatched.

When the fry have fully absorbed their egg sack it will be time to start feeding. This can be any number of foods from newly hatched bbs to cyclopeeze. Almost any small sinking carnivore food that gets soft can also be used. It is important not to leave uneaten food in the tank too long so have a small syphon system (I use rigid tubing on the end of an airline) to vac out uneaten food. You should also be doing 10% or so wc daily - most of which will result from the vacuuming.

I have also always move a small moss covered rock or small wood into the tank shortly after seeing wigglers. Taking this from an established tank means you will be moving over infusoria as well.

Good luck with the babies.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

iv got 40 plus fry and everthing seems to be going well! :D

starting to feed them from today so fingers crossed i dont lose too many of them!
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236