what you think?

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
civicr
Obsessed!!

what you think?

Post by civicr »

i was in a lfs store in my city.its not a place i go to often as i dont agree with there fish keeping methods and tank cleaning known as(house of the dead)house of picies.but they do offer i wide varity of stock alot of nice an rare fish there,

anyways...........

i was in there just having a look around got chating to the owner and he says another way to bring on spawing of plecs is

add ice cubes in the tank to lower temps, and poor water into the tank thru a watering can rather than pouring with a bucket etc

also as zebs like fast water movement just get a power head in the tank and attatch a flexie hose face it towards the glass of the tank and the water an power from the pump pushes the flexie hose off the glass and creates water movement in a constant random flow like in the wild

what you guys think ??

i say it sounds like a good idea
crazyplec46
Groupie

Post by crazyplec46 »

Heard of the watering can trick before

I use this method to get my sterbias to spawn a few years ago and it worked a treat :D
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

sounds interesting but what difference does pouring it using a watering can make? can someone plz explain?
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
crazyplec46
Groupie

Post by crazyplec46 »

Give a more realistic simulation of rain
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

lol oops i see..... stupid question really....

im really hungover :? :oops: :lol:
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
John

Post by John »

Hey Ryan,

Great tips from the house of dead :lol:
add ice cubes in the tank to lower temps, and poor water into the tank thru a watering can rather than pouring with a bucket etc
I would categorise these under BS
also as zebs like fast water movement just get a power head in the tank and attatch a flexie hose face it towards the glass of the tank and the water an power from the pump pushes the flexie hose off the glass and creates water movement in a constant random flow like in the wild
You don't really need a powerhead to keep or breed zebs, they are just very handy to get a lot of oxygen in your water, but if you use one and want a changing flow i would use this:http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_wav ... sp?CartId=
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
civicr
Obsessed!!

zeb

Post by civicr »

intresting reading there but i sopose they both kind of do the same job.

what do you mean by out these under a bs???
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

BS... Bull poop ;) - and I'd agree.

I use a hydro flo in our zeb tank ;) - attached to a cutting edge filter :D (its a bog standard fluval 4+)
I then have an aquaclear 301 power head with filter attachment in there...

water changes are done with cold water. but by a hose pipe..
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
bonsai
Obsessed!!

cold water

Post by bonsai »

The cold water treatment also works for koi. When temperatures are high, cold water from a hose pipe is jetted across surface and often they will spawn, something to do with stress i am told :?
TomSharland
Groupie

Post by TomSharland »

It's not due to stress, its to help simulate the rainy season, which is when plecs (and a large nubmer of other species of fish) tend to spawn. It's an environmental signal,

Tom
Be thankful for wooden floors