Galaxy Rasbora

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
dave
Obsessed!!

Galaxy Rasbora

Post by dave »

Hi

This fish according to Practical Fish Keeping magazine is being fished to the point of extinction.

The blame for this seems to be solely attributable to the ornamental fish trade.

A number of members of this site possess these fish. Could I politely suggest that owners of this fish make a serious attempt to breed it rather than just keep it in a community tank.

If anybody has bred this fish could you please give the details in any reply that is given.

Take care

Dave
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

This is a real bummer to read if true. I was about to buy some for a tank in which they would do OK but in which they would be unlikely to spawn. Now I have to rethink it.

The other part of the order was to be sidthimunki loaches, also endangered, but now being farmed using hormones for spawning inducement.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
rich1988oxford
Obsessed!!

Post by rich1988oxford »

Sad to hear, i work with jeremy gay the technical writer for pratical fishkeeping mag and he told me at the weekend that apparently its not just the over collection, its the fact that collectors have been destroying the delicate environment that they live in. I also know of the first breeder of the galaxies and apparently from he has found that they have very few fry. not sure on an exact number. Very sad to hear :cry:
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi again

Post by dave »

www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/

I have no idea how to post a link, the above is the address.

"practicalfishkeeping", if you google this you should be able to locate the article.

Dave
Lifted193
Obsessed!!

Post by Lifted193 »

WOW! I thought that the just discovered these beautiful fishes!!!
jeroentje
Obsessed!!

Post by jeroentje »

sad to hear, on a NL forum there's also a discussion about the fish.

here a link to the fotoalbum from someone who has beautiful pictures of the fish.
http://forum.punkyfish.nl/board/www/for ... 027/last//

:D
zeberdy
Obsessed!!

Re: Galaxy Rasbora

Post by zeberdy »

dave wrote:Hi

Could I politely suggest that owners of this fish make a serious attempt to breed it rather than just keep it in a community tank.
Dave
Totally agree 100%!

I have just manged to get a fair qty of these and they are stunning but what use is that if they can never be replaced because of Extinction? I will therefore be having a damn good go at breeding them. Here is a very bad pic of some of mine just to show you how stunning they are and the link to the PFK arlicle is is here
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/p ... ?news=1197
Fisuliina
Forum Follower

Post by Fisuliina »

I also have these beautifull fish.

Here in Finland at least two persons have been able to breed these beauties. Actually they did almost nothing and suddenly there were little babies. I´ll try to ask them to comment their experiences in here.

Edit: Here´s some tips from a finnish breeder. She was kind enough to share her experiences with us! This is what she wrote to me:

"I have 10 galaxy rasboras in a 63-litre tank. There are no other fish in the tank.
There is a piece of bogwood in the tank and some low plants at bottom. By the surface there is a bigger bush of plants.
There is quite strong current in one end of the tank but rather still water in the other end.
The temperature is + 26 Celsius degrees.
NO3 is 20 mg/l, pH 6.5, GH 150 ppm, KH 40 ppm.

I feed the fish with NLS Small Fish Formula once a day or every other day, and I give them some frozen bloodworms or shrimps about once in two weeks.

I do partial water changes when it suits me best, that is sometimes twice a week, sometimes once in two weeks. I change 25-40 % of the water at a time.

In these conditions, I see spawning behaviour practically daily.

When they spawn, the whole school of fish is chasing each other, and those that I expect to be males, each have their own place which they watch over when not chasing others. Usually this is above some smaller plant by the bottom of the tank.
Before spawning, a male and a female fish set up next to each other above the male's spawning place, heads in opposite directions. They begin to swim in circle and slowly drop towards the bottom. When at bottom (inside or above a plant or plain sand between plants), they get very close to each other and spawn.

Sometimes I see a "third wheel" appear in the middle of spawning and the female who spawned is disturbed and leaves, while the "third wheel" continues where she left off.

When doing water changes, I have siphoned carefully in the spots where I have seen the fish spawn and where "debris" collect at the bottom of the tank. I have then put the water I siphoned to another tank where there are no fish. This was how I got my first galaxy fry: 5 little ones about a week after siphoning, in the empty tank. They are all doing well, as well as the rest that I have collected since.

But it seems another tank is not necessary in raising galaxy fry. They spawn spontaneously practically daily, and apparently some fry make it in the same tank aswell. The fry seem to stay at the top of the tank while the adult fish mostly stay at the bottom half of the tank. Maybe this is the life-saver for the fry? As the fry grows bigger in size, they move lower in the tank. I am waiting for the biggest fry to soon join the pack of the adult fish.

This is my experience with galaxies that have very easily tripled their quantity in less than 2 months since I got them.

Majka"
dave
Obsessed!!

Thankyou

Post by dave »

Hi Majka

Thankyou for that detailed reply, it is really appreciated, by myself and I guess by any other people who are attempting to breed this fish.

Take care

Dave
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Now this thread has my interest peaked. My intitial impression was my tanks were all too warm- ie 77-86F (25-30C). 26C I can do. My water is about 106ppm gh so that seems acceptable as well. However, what worries me is my pH which is basically 7.4- perhaps 7.2 in heavilly wooded tanks.

Any thoughts on what the chances are these guys would spawn in my params? I don't alter my tap pH for my fish, so that is out. I can buy some of these fish now, so I need to decide what to do.

I can tell you what fish have spawned in my water:
Angels, Discus (eggs not viable), rosey barb, many bn pleco, threadfin rainbows, pseudomugil gertrudae, zebra danio, choprae danio, zebra pleco, A. australe killie, farlowella, assorted corys, montezuma swords, P. nicholsi, Colisa lalia (no fry)
Last edited by TwoTankAmin on Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi

Post by dave »

From a previous post in this thread, these fish have been spawned. Bolton Museum have also spawned them and details of the parameters hopefully will be obtained soon.

My feeling is that this fish is fairly adaptable. I am giving it a go.

I also don't alter tap water PH, it is usually about 7.2.

I use Ocean Rock and sea shells in my Tropheus Tanks and Mopani Wood in my L46 tanks, both these fish breed on a regular basis. The Tropheus whenever I condition them, and L46's not so reularly but I got 80+ fry in 2006.

Take care

Dave
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

When there was talk about a new sp. being absolutely stunning I had a feeling something was too good to be true. The planted tank community is all over these little things and are scooping them up like crazy for their "display" tanks so like any other sp. that is highly sought after the demand goes up!

Being new to the trade their is a small numbers of real breeders so the demand is met by collecting. Saddens me to see it come true but it was foreseen.

Maybe I will set up a tank to breed them since there are LFS by me that have a good amount in stock for fairly decent price.
[url]http://tropheusfanatics.invisionzone.com/[/url]
Lifted193
Obsessed!!

Post by Lifted193 »

What is the going price these beauties? In the states? or world wide?
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi

Post by dave »

Well I bought some in my local shop, £3 a piece, about 6$, though the normal price is about £4 to £5.

Take care

Dave
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

Here in TX there are LFS selling for $3-$6
[url]http://tropheusfanatics.invisionzone.com/[/url]