How young can/should fry be when offered for sale

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
october004
Groupie

How young can/should fry be when offered for sale

Post by october004 »

No offense mceve but I have seen and sold and raised with no mortality rate on zebs month old and younger I have seen them ship better and thrive better than the adults. I don't mean this bad but on this topic your wrong.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

sure you can be lucky. Chanses are however that they won't make it, and you won't be able to see if the fish will develop snubnose for instance.

I have raised quite a few of these little ones too, enough to know that sometimes it works fine, sometimes it don't ;)

I stand by my warning and still find it irresposible to sell fry that has just emerged from the cave.

No offense
october004
Groupie

Post by october004 »

to each their own but explain the difference of you stating this on this forum that could affect the sell of these zebs yet if someone comments on known people that are trying to sell zebs and they have screwed people, they get in trouble? I am confused?....Because your statement is only opinion also....
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I'm not sure where the confusion comes from. Maybe because you're only thinking shipping, and when they get to the destination you're through with them.

I'm thinking a bit further down the line, and when people pay $125 they might want to make sure they get a healthy Zebra without deformities and that will live a few years. I have yet to hear of any breeder that hasen't lost a single fish within the first 6 months of a spawn, but if one get rid of the fish when they're a month old one might never had noticed this.

Starting to talk about frauds is a diversion from the subject.

http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtop ... highlight= is not an opinion but an experience.

Pretty strong statement from your side "you're wrong" with the aforementioned experience recorded.

I know breeders (Rob included) that won't sell his fish until they're 15 months old, just to make sure they're healthy fish that has developed correctly.

I never sell fish until they're a year old. Then I know I'm selling fish that are healthy and without deformities.

Yes, it's my opinion, and I still stand by it. I've had my say on this subject, but of course - we're all entitled to our opinion, including you.
snr69
Obsessed!!

Post by snr69 »

Probably better posting the eggs !

( or would that be too early ? )
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

I personally agree with McEve its a matter of good business practice to make sure whoever you sell something to gets a quality product/fish.

Would you want to buy fish at $125 to have them all turn out to be snub noses?
Thebuddy is planning his tank
october004
Groupie

Post by october004 »

With all that being said I want to be in line for all the breeders that keep them for 12-15 months and I will pay you $125 a piece for them. Just let me know when they are ready!

As far as experience goes remember it used to be the experienced that said the world is flat. Just because people agree with you doesnt make you right.

I just find it questionable why because your the site administrator you can make opinions based on your experience that could hinder the sale of zebs but other people are stopped from making their opinions known based on their experience with different individuals. Now I have kept silent on this site for a long while but its just not right.
ApacheDan
Obsessed!!

Post by ApacheDan »

october004 wrote:With all that being said I want to be in line for all the breeders that keep them for 12-15 months and I will pay you $125 a piece for them. Just let me know when they are ready!
Sarcastic... aren't you? Nobody said anything about selling a 12-15 month zebra for $125. Personally, I rather pay a higher price & have the peace of mind that the zebra has a better chance of survival than a few months old fry. Moneys aside, both sellers and buyers have a responsibility for the survival of newborns. Where did you get your statistics that all fry sold are doing well and better than adults sold? By the way, this is how 3/4", months old shipped fry look...only 15 hours after arrival...death.
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

My rule for selling my fry, of which the first are about to fo out, is that they must be at least one inch total length and a minmum of six months. Most of the ones ready to go now were spawned between last April and July.

I prefer that buyers pick them up so they can choose which ones they take. I also charge an extra $25/fish for those wanting them shipped to cover my butt so i can guarantee live arrival.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
october004
Groupie

Post by october004 »

the point of this whole thing is that when someone lists fish for sale that is supposed to be it. We are not suppose to post all of our opinions about the seller or anything else and I have seen on this site where people have gotten into trouble over it. I just think the rules should apply to all including the rule makers. I dont know the guy trying to sell but it would irritate me if everyone thought they had to give their 2 cents about what he is doing. If you dont want to buy them fine but dont down him for what he is doing just keep it to yourself and we will do the same to you....
John

Post by John »

ApacheDan wrote:both sellers and buyers have a responsibility for the survival of newborns

Image this is what our hobby is about
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

I suspect site admins have been keeping fishes since they were wee lads and lasses they are allowed to voice there opinions :wink:
Thebuddy is planning his tank
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

we should all be able to voice our opinions - thats what forums are about... people dont have to agree either!

Personally I think we have a troll here - that posted just to get a reaction and stir things up for kicks...
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

just read through this post with interest and i have to say i agree with what october is trying to say. i too have seen mods telling us that if someone makea a post selling fish then its got nothing to do with anyone else and unless your interetsed in buying what that persons selling we're not to comment. infact i think iv even been told off for doing so.... so it does sometimes feel like "one rule for one, and a different rule for another"

personally im not sure what the effects of shipping young fry are as iv never bought or sold any fish that young before but i have also heard that fry travell much better than adult fish.

anyway just my thoughts....

andrew
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

If you look through the sales and wants I think you'll find that the mods have interferred when there's been no reasonable doubt that the seller is for real, and that the fish is sellable.

When there's a fraud going on the mods have not interfered with the discussion.

I would have objected if somebody was to sell eggs as well (LOL snr69 :D) And feel it's part of my job to to intervene when I see something that I feel is wrong going on on the site, no matter which category it is. I realiize I won't win any popularity contests for having the role I do, I do it voluntarily as I have been entrusted with trying to keep things in accordance with the rules, to make all members feel safe and secure with the going ons on this site, and try my best to make it so.

This means that we sometimes need to give a headup.

My advice to the original poster would be to hang on to them until they are at least 6 months old, then advertize them again.

smithrc: you might be right, if you are - I fell for it :? But I still feel it needed to be addressed.

BTW, I believe I tried to stop a discussion ensuing the sale advertisment of your fish october004... anyway, if you all feel the subject of how young a fish can be before being sold I suggest a new thread is started with this subject in the appropriate category.
Last edited by McEve on Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.