Automated water changes.

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
Adam

Automated water changes.

Post by Adam »

You are all probably thinking what a lazy git first he wants to digitise all his water testing and now he wants to automate his water changes. It would be nice to remove these laborious aspects from the hobby.

I have heard that some people, mainly on the marine side, have automated systems for draining and topping up their set ups.
Does anyone have any information on this subject?

I would be more inclined to buy an off the shelf system, if one exists.
DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Post by DANthirty »

Hi Ad

Ive also heard off these devices , but havent a clue how they work or how to use one, i would also be interested in this contraption as it does become a bit off a chore doing water changes and with the girlfriend nagging that im dripping water everywhere, also the children trying to pull the draining pipe out off the bottle so water can go everywhere.

What method do you use ? i use the big water bottles that u get for the big water dispensing machines in offices they hold around 4.5 gallons each and i have three , so i fill one then close the tap and put an empty under it and fill and so on, whilst im using the 2 for draining i fill the third with ro water ready to fill the tank, and when i start to fill with the first bottle i place the second bottle under to start filling so its nearly ready by the time ive empted the first. :shock: if you get what i mean!!!!

it takes roughly 17 mins in total to change 19 gallons which is roughly 25% off my tank :wink:
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

Doesn't Rob have some sort of automatic water changer? The new (fresh water) being in the loft above the "fish room"?
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
Adam

Post by Adam »

My method is a bit similar, I have four large water containers that I got from my LFS. I fill these with preconditioned water of the correct temperature, 50% tap water and 50% RO. I have some long piping that reaches the garden, I then siphon out the required amount of water from the tank. Once this is done I then place the containers on a ladder, not all 4 at the same time, and siphon new water back into the tank. The whole process takes about 30 minutes. I'm sure there must be an easier way.
DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Post by DANthirty »

i just pour mine in a fast as i can do you think this might stress the fish
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

I've been working on a plan to plumb 20 29 gallon tanks together onto a large main sump. I'll have an automatic top off on it, and I intend to put a small rio pump that will be on a timer to run it a couple hours a day (or so, once i figure out gallonage and how much water it actually physically moves) aiming for a 10% change daily. That way I can focus on feeding them all I want, and just siphon tank bottoms weekly. My boss thinks I'm insane to go central, but the value of a large volume of water just can not be dismissed. I always have the other tanks for quarantining new stock ;)

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

HI guys... it's in the "pipeline" so to speak, but no done.

I have a 600l holding tank in the loft, which provides water to what will be the fish room, and that room alone. this will allow the water to dechlorinate over a long period of time. The tanks are in a 3 teir system, with central filtration. Each tank will have a float switch , that has the ability to switch off the 5000 l/s pump, if the overflows get blocked.

The water changes, eventually will be carried out with a timed actuator valve, straight from the 600l tank in the loft, into the sump. When this happens it will cause the excess water to flow out the overflow in the sump and down the drain.

lots of fun... and lots to do.

rob
urchysj

Auto water changes

Post by urchysj »

Hi. I am almost done completing my automatic water-changing fishroom. I took a simple approach, but all my tanks are plumbed in. I have:
10 x 20gal
3 x 45gal
4 x 37gal
I am on well water so I don't have to worry about that crap like chlorine/chloramine/chemicals, etc. Water is coming straight from my well...ok, my hot water tank, pressure tank, etc. I have a hot and cold line that ties into a shower knob and it is turned on at all times. This is how I mix my temperature. I have a 1/4" line that runs into every tank. I use ball-valves on the water lines to turn the water on and off into the tanks. I had all my tanks drilled about 3/4 of the way to the top. I have elbows and that plastic 3/4" pipe that is at the top of the tank. Water comes in my water-in line, fills the tank, water pours down the elbow...to a drain that is tied into my washing machine pipe. I love it. The only problem I have is that for some reason, my water temp fluctuates. Still working on that. Don't know why it will run for hours at 78F and then all of a sudden will run hot. It's a purge-protected knob so I don't know. Right now I just turn the ball-valves on when I'm in the room and whamo...10-30% change or whatever I want in minutes. I only have to vacuum up the detritus every so often. Then just turn the ball-valve on again to top it up. I only use sponge filters...and even those aren't really necessary. If I can get it so my valves drip water in all day, I will never have to concern myself with a filter. Am I wrong? But just to be safe, I'm using sponges in all tanks. I still will have canisters on the 45gal tanks for best current. The only other thing I use is airstones. I have a professional air pump that can aerate 60 tanks...I only have 17 in my fishroom. What do you think of my plan? Closed system so I don't get a damp basement, tight lids, I hope I thought of everything. Did I?
Thanks.
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

Can anyone recommend one of these huge air pumps that will run 15-20 20 gallon tanks??
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
urchysj

My air pump

Post by urchysj »

Hi. Mine is a "HIBLOW" model 40.
It says "nearly silent operation", "all high quality parts including metal casing ans stainless stell air outlets", "easy to service and repair", "run up to 60 20 Gal aquariums".

Specs:
Air volume: 11.9 gallons/min
Power consumption: 53 watts
Noise level: 34dB

I know there are other models...like the 60 and 80 or something like that, but it's best to have more power than less. You can always adjust your outflows or turn valves on/off if you don't need the extra air. I love mine...so far. Only had it a month, but I heard they are the cat's meow. I got mine through my fish-room builder...he is a business so I think anyone who has a business knows of this supplier. Or just look it up on the internet. I think it's spelled "Hi-Blow".
Good luck.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Go for the Hiblow Doc P, I have a 60 and 80 left over from my koi keeping days. Great air pumps, low noise and maintenance. All I use to do occassionaly was to clean the air filter pad under the top cover. I was just working out how many air stones I had running off the 80, 26 in total. 4 in each chamber of the 5 bay filter and 6 in the main pond.