Malaysian Trumpet Snails

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
az1
Groupie

Post by az1 »

thebuddy wrote:so they are a good way to tell that your tank needs a water change if there on the glass in the day?
Not really as I read somewhere that they need to get to the surface to breed so all it nay indicate is that you are going to have more :lol:

Cheers

Andreas
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

Well now that they are over-taking my tank, what's the best way to get rid of them - easily? Not all of them of course. :wink:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

az1 wrote:
thebuddy wrote:so they are a good way to tell that your tank needs a water change if there on the glass in the day?
Not really as I read somewhere that they need to get to the surface to breed so all it nay indicate is that you are going to have more :lol:
I think that might be the apple snail, as they lay eggs above the surface. Malaysian trumpet snails are "livebearer" as far as I've been able to figure out :)

example:
http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Bug,%20Snai ... rumpet.htm
Well now that they are over-taking my tank, what's the best way to get rid of them - easily? Not all of them of course.
Syphon out the ones you can see, you won't be able to goet all of them without help from a Loach or totally emptying the tank
az1
Groupie

Post by az1 »

I have both types of snails. The apple snail intentionally :) the trumpet not :?

As I mentioned it was just something I read. I can't find it again so can't post a link.

Cheers

Andreas
Andyt.
Groupie

Getting rid of them is easy

Post by Andyt. »

Raul-7, all you need to do is put a piece of romaine lettuce on the bottom of the aquaium (you'll have to weigh it down). When it is covered with snails, take it out and throw it away. Repeat as needed to thin population.

Note: Make sure the snails you remove die. It sounds cruel, but the problem is that these snails can be an invasive species in local waterways.
Our problem is not that the world lacks magic. Our problem is that we don't believe in its magic.
~Marianne Williamson
dj_speed_uk
Groupie

Post by dj_speed_uk »

anyone got any surplus trumpet snails wil pay postage :D
Nick
zebrastorey
Obsessed!!

Post by zebrastorey »

anyone got any surplus trumpet snails wil pay postage
If only you had asked yesterday as today i syphoned every snail i could see above the sand out of my tank. Excellent little cleaners but boy can they breed.
dj_speed_uk
Groupie

Post by dj_speed_uk »

yup they dont need any males to reproduce blady hermaphrodites.lol u got rid of em all, or have you kept a few to do their job,lol also how many we lookin minimum to keep it safe? :?:
Nick
zebrastorey
Obsessed!!

Post by zebrastorey »

i kept a few they had just bred to much plus there are some common and ramshorns as well (hitchhikers) so numbers can get pretty high, but its nothing a good clean out can't sort out :wink:
mistern2005
Obsessed!!

mts as a food source?

Post by mistern2005 »

Does anyone know if zebras will eat MTS as a food source like clown loaches? Or do they just serve as a "clean up crew"? I just got a few attached to some plants and I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to put them in the zebra tank...any advice?
Colin_BC
Forum Follower

Post by Colin_BC »

My loach doesn't seem to be able to eat MTS. I think they have a mich more solid shell than other snails. My electric blue crayfish snacks on them, but he's got all those arms and legs to get to the good stuff. He's also in his own private tank.

I've got a couple tanks that are just loaded with MTS. Everytime I take apart my canister filter on my 29G I remove at least 100 little MTS. If you look in the tank after lights out the glass and all the plants and wood are a moving mass of snails. If anyone in Canada needs or wants some, let me know. I'm sure I can spare some.... They're more prolific than duckweed!

Colin
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Colin_BC wrote:They're more prolific than duckweed!

Colin
And apparently heat cables under the sand will do the same job of keeping the sand healthy.

I haven't tried it myself, but other fishkeeperss that have fine sand claims it does the job. ? you don't need that heater if you get the cables.

Again: I have no personal experience with this as I'm using slate in the bottom of my tanks now.
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

hamish99 wrote:they can be pain if you let them get outa control, i just had to clear out my main tank and put boiling water in to get rid of them, sound cruel but it was like a carpet in there
I've got the same thing at the moment, they are literally infesting my main tank. I must chuck out hundreds every month into the back garden.

Thankfully though, the Kh in my zebra tank is so low it helps keep control of the population as they can't grow their shells properly.
zebrastorey
Obsessed!!

Post by zebrastorey »

I thought i was completely rid of my MTS in my tank as i had syphoned out every one but then the other week i cleaned out my external ehiem and found i had a new moving filter media.
mistern2005
Obsessed!!

Post by mistern2005 »

...so my question still stands, should I add them to my tank or not? Does the benefit o0f having them outweigh the burden of having to remove 20423048 of them every other day?