Zebra's in a planted tank????

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Zebra's in a planted tank????

Post by DANthirty »

Hi guys hope all is well
I was thinking off putting a couple off my 12 zebbys in my 4 foot planted tank but the conditions seem to be not ideal, i.e there is hardly, if any surface disturbance, there is no fast flowing water.so not sure if there would be enough aeration for the fish.
Do you think the zebbys would be ok in this sort off envirament
Tom26000

Post by Tom26000 »

Hi

I have kept zebras in relatively still tank, planted tank conditions with no problems at all. However, maybe if yours have been use to fast currents and high dissolved oxygen you might want to be more cautious. When I kept mine in these conditions it was before I moved them into more suitable biotype conditions.

Regards

Tom
Adam

Post by Adam »

Don't do it Dan,

There will be even less dissolved O2 in a heavily planted tank at night. I wouldn't risk it if I was you. The zebras come from fast flowing waters in the wild, your best bet is to simulate this sort of environment for them.

Four of my zebras spent some time in my community tank, while in there I noticed that their breathing was heavier than the zebras that were in my species tank. Since moving to the species tank they seem to be a lot happier and don't breath as heavily, in fact one of them has put a lot of weight on and seems to always be feeding. The filteration in the zebra only tank is comprised of 2 eheim canister filters, 2217 and 2128, and theres a 1500 l/hr powerhead in there too. This equates to a total turnover of about 17 times p/hr, the fish appear to be a lot happier in these conditions. I have noticed a lot more activity and a number of fish are filling out quite nicely.
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Danthirty,
In the early days, (when they were approx £35 each)I too tried keeping zebras in my Community planted tanks. They never survived. I now believe that it was due to a lack of food since they are so slow and nervous to eat. The temp. was also too low at 75 f.
I believe that if they are in a planted tank with other slow eaters, at a temp of approx 80 f they should be fine.I have seen zebras in planted show tanks in some lfs's.
Des.
Last edited by Des on Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Post by DANthirty »

Thanks guys for your advice i think its not worth taking the risk with these little beuts, so ill just have to freeze viewing them in my shed :cry:
Adam

Post by Adam »

I've got the perfect solution Dan, put the Mrs in the shed and move the zebras indoors. My Mrs will be moving into the garage shortly so that I can bring my 6Ft tank indoors, I've just got to break the news to her first. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: