Zebra of the month

How can we improve this forum, and the site as a whole?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Zebra of the month

Post by McEve »

I'm stealing an idea from Total fishkeeping, where this has been a great success.

How about a competition, "Best looking Zebra of the month" :D

edit

To follow this up, all the winners could be put in a gallery on this site, that way there will be a nice collection of good looking Zebras to browse as time pass.
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi McEve,
What criteria could one use in judging "Best looking Zebra".Of course one could look at perfect fins, not anorexic etc? .But if one then looks at the lines on a Zebra, there are very ,very few with perfect parrallel lines.
I used to Show fish at our monthly fish show when I was a teenager, and more recently Budgies but they all had "Show criteria" , which might be a little difficult with our "misstriped" zebras.
Des.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Of course it would be a subjective evaluation as each member see the fish. It could be a very informal thing, mainly for the fun of it, not to get a best in show fish type of thing :D

Maybe a picture of a Zebra doing something funny would win one month, and a Zebra which might not have perfect markings (which are most of them anyway) but the picture shows the fish in a specially nice setting would win another month.

It would the members subjective evaluation that would decide, and like mentioned before, a very informal thing, just for the fun of it :)
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

I like the idea. Loads of other folks have it on their forums and it can be very fun. A simple voting system, you decide why you want to vote for the pic, whether it be composition or the actual fish doesn't matter in my mind, it's all just fun.
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
Adam

Post by Adam »

Sounds good to me, the winner gets a free zebra from our sponsor Rob :lol: :lol: .
DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Post by DANthirty »

Or the winner could win all the other zebras that enter :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

The winner gets fame and glory only :lol:
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hmmmmmmm.....sounds like somebody is getting the dirty end of te stick here!!!!!! How about it costs everyone £5 to enter, and all the money goes to buying my fish posh grub!!!!
8)
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

I think that it is a great idea. (Photo comp, not Robs Fee :P )

Other sites that I visit have the same idea. It always works well but there are restrictions as to the physical size of photos that can be submitted (500 pixels width) in order to keep them uniform and viewable in everyones browsers etc. I suppose tht it also reduces the size MB/KB of the photo.

I think that photos should be judged on the quality of the fish, the composition of the shot and the quality of the photograph. All of these are totally subjective of course and on other site there have been petty squabbles regarding photoshopping backgrounds etc :twisted: , but i hope we can all rise above that on this site:)

Tristan
L046, L033, L117, L200, L027, L014, Discus, & malawis
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

If disk space is a problem I could help ... :) I could allow members to upload pictures through a password protected page.
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

I wasn't suggesting that disk space was a problem, have to ask Rob what he thinks, it is always nice to see other peoples photos. :D
husky_jim
Obsessed!!

Post by husky_jim »

Having a monthly photo contest is a great idea.In Piranha-Fury.com that i am a mod we have monthly contests for Piranha and Non Piranha pics...
As for the winner he takes a special line in his/her signature with a special tittle and a tag!
It is great and we have many participants every month...!!!!

All pics are send in an specific email and the responsible mod uploads them in a poll which is open for some days....
[b]Jim[/b]
[url=http://www.aquazone.gr][img]http://www.piranha-fury.com/pfury/uploads/1129493122/tn_gallery_1075_67_7031.jpg[/img][/url]
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

The idea of a photo contest is a good one, but I will need to discuss it with my host. I have meeting arranged for february, after which the new site should be going live.

I should also appologise for the time it takes me to progress the site, but I am on it as we speak.

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

Rob, I don't see any of us complaining and with a constantly growing membership - its cool. Don't stress, everyone loves the site and I am sure that it is only going to get better. Thanks for getting off your ar*e and going to the trouble of setting it up - i've learnt loads. :D
DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Post by DANthirty »

The competion thing sounds good , but who will decide the winner will it be everybody or just a panel off judges??