Usergroups

How can we improve this forum, and the site as a whole?
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Usergroups

Post by Dr. P »

Hey Rob. What do you think about creating some usergroups based on each members country? Would make it easy to see where everyone is from and could also be used to keep in touch for any "local" going on's or events. Maybees I just have too much time on my hands?
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Dr.P

Yup, Sounds likea good idea. It could woudl definately assist wish everyone puting there location in their profile, as it tends to make the posts easier to answer dependant on their geographical location.

I'll look into it when I'm updating the site.

Cheers

rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

Cool man. It's very very simple, you do it through the admin panel. Each usergroup has an admin who allows or disallows members to join the forum. I dunno how 'up' you are on phpBB but if you need a hand, geez a shout.
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

No Problems mate, but cheers for the offer, greatly appreciated.

Watch this space!!

Rob 8)
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

You're going to deny members access to a group dependent of their location..?

Guess I'll be denied access then, coming from a minority location here... :?
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

Naw not really. Its just a simple way of sorta documenting the origins of our members. For instance, say a new member came onto the site looking for some info or to trade/buy/sell zebras. They could easily see that there were 6 (lets say) people in their country, which just so happens to be Norway :wink: ...... they wouldn't have to scroll through posts to find out who they should be talking to. Not everyone fills in the location part of the profile.

There are quite a few members from Norway too btw :lol:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Travelling through Europe is like travelling from a state to another in the US. I don't see how it would benefit people to be excluded from reading about Zebras for sale in one country, simply because they're from another.

There's some (1 I think) members here from Poland, and another one or two from Greece. How would it benefit the community to disallow these members from for instance reading about Zebras for sale in Norway?

This forum is for the benefit of a joint community of Zebra fans? :)
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Everyone

Don't worry, I will not be segregating the forum at all!! I woudl see the sue of usergroups as a way fo memebers contatcign other members intheir area or location. It would not affect the actual posting of the forum.

It would merely act like a "contacts list" . If I am right in thinking, by creating local user groups it will anable individuals to send a PM to an entire group. For example if there was an aution in edinburgh on saturday, and I wanted to lete everyone know. It would be of no interest to those in the US. I could simply send a PM to the appropriate usergroup. I have no intention of pigeon holing people into geographicla locations.....don't worry.

I'll see what happens and how much of this phpBB I figure out..he he.. :lol:
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

You got it.....just worded it better than me :roll:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Phew - you got me scared there for a minute :lol:
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

ha ha :lol: ..
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

Women eh :roll: (((runs and hides!!)))
Adam

Post by Adam »

Woooooooo, get him McEve, GET HIM!!!! :lol:

I'll pay for the air fare to Scotland so that you can clap him one. :lol: :lol:
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

Adam wrote:I'll pay for the air fare to Scotland so that you can clap him one. :lol: :lol:
Quality, McEve with fries please :lol:
Adam

Post by Adam »

Carry on Dr P :lol: , You'll have ketchup on your fries by the time she's through with you and she'll ban you from her usergroup too. It will all end in tears, yours probably. :lol: :lol: