User Location

How can we improve this forum, and the site as a whole?
Zebinski

User Location

Post by Zebinski »

Don't know if I am being dumb...

Forum rules state that we have to list our location.

I can't see people's location on their posts under their username.

Is this a deliberate action so that we have to tell each other where we are from or an oversight in the board settings?
Jools
Site Admin

Re: User Location

Post by Jools »

What size of screen are you looking at? Smaller screens show less info...

Jools
Zebinski

Post by Zebinski »

I'm looking at the website from a Samsung Galaxy S6 edge... screen resolution 2,560 x 1,440.

I've tried "request desktop site". Does the same thing.
littlerock
Forum Follower

Post by littlerock »

I can see you are from Hertfordshire, Zebinski :) .. im on a PC, not phone
Jools
Site Admin

Post by Jools »

Zebinski wrote:I'm looking at the website from a Samsung Galaxy S6 edge... screen resolution 2,560 x 1,440.

The resolution of 1440x2560 is kind of secondary to the pixel density, which is rather high. So, because of the small screen size (physical not resolution) then the forum layout decides to not show stuff. There is no mobile versus desktop site here, just different views depending on that screen size. The rule exists so that (when registering) you put in a sensible location (as opposed to Planet Earth, the couch or similar) so that all users can, if they wish, find out where you are in the world.

This helps a lot with stuff like WTB and many other types of discussions where the location of those involved is important.

Hope that helps explain it all!

Cheers,

Jools
Zebinski

Post by Zebinski »

Jools wrote:
Zebinski wrote:I'm looking at the website from a Samsung Galaxy S6 edge... screen resolution 2,560 x 1,440.

The resolution of 1440x2560 is kind of secondary to the pixel density, which is rather high. So, because of the small screen size (physical not resolution) then the forum layout decides to not show stuff. There is no mobile versus desktop site here, just different views depending on that screen size. The rule exists so that (when registering) you put in a sensible location (as opposed to Planet Earth, the couch or similar) so that all users can, if they wish, find out where you are in the world.

This helps a lot with stuff like WTB and many other types of discussions where the location of those involved is important.

Hope that helps explain it all!

Cheers,

Jools
Thanks Jools,

Is there any chance this can be changed in the future, I would have thought a lot of users come on here with a tablet/phone.

In reference to pixel density, I can view other forums perfectly well in desktop mode small screen or not.

Of course these suggestions are just that, suggestions. And I appreciate the time and effort that goes into keeping this great resource alive (zebrapleco.com). Not meaning to sound ungrateful. :oops: :mrgreen:
Jools
Site Admin

Post by Jools »

If the guys who make our forum software (phpBB) change it, then it will sure happen here. It's not really something I can customise. But it's designed to show less on smaller (physical) screens. It would be good even though less than 5% of our posts are from mobiles, over 40% of site usage is from mobiles.

No issue at all talking about this - don't want you guys thinking I'm just not changing it out of hand - it's just I can't readily...

Cheers,

Jools
Zebinski

Post by Zebinski »

Much appreciated, hopefully some point in the near future phpBB will sort it out.

Thanks for taking time to reply. :tup: