Need Caves?

If you are a private seller, then why not give this a shot? It's free and might even have some of those zebra thingies! You can also post requests for exchanging or loaning fish. Please refrain from posting opinions or irrelevancies in this section.

Zebrapleco.com can not take ANY responsibility for items advertised or sold in this section as they are free classifieds. Members not following the Forum Rules however will have their Posts deleted.

LyreTail
Obsessed!!

Need Caves?

Post by LyreTail »

I am Located In Everett Wa USA just north of Seattle
Email curtisbkr@earthlink.net ( also my PayPal email)

I have been making caves for myself and people requesting them and bought some special tools to really help make these things much quicker. I can customize the design to fit your needs within reason.

Description
Hypancistrus sized cave ( Queens and Zebras )
Internal Length 14 cm ( 5.5 inches)
Internal width 3.5 cm ( about 1.5 inches- specify if you want a smaller or wider width ie 3.0 or 4.0- cm)
Internal height 2.5 cm ( 1 inch)

Ancistrus ( bushy nose) sized cave
Internal length 15 cm (6 inches)
internal width 4.5 cm (1.75 inches)
Internal height 3 cm ( a little over 1 inch)

All caves will have distressed corners for a more natural look and include a front "porch" piece of slate for when the females come calling. All caves have very tight fitting seems with very little silicone needed to bond them.

Prices

Non removable top zebra size cave = $10 USD each
Removable top zebra size cave = $15 USD each

Bushy nose caves add $5 more each cave

Shipping cost depends on quantity and size ordered. Starting at about $10 as a flat rate, anywhere in the USA and going up when sent to other countries than the USA ( depends on total weight as this can vary with slate - I have shipped them to the UK, Belgium, Norway , Sweden and Portugal now, so I have a good estimation of average weight now) Shipping 3 to 5 caves normally runs between $30 and $45 for airmail - 4 to 10 days delivery For some reason the UK and Australia is slightly more expensive than other countries

Here is a link to old version of caves. I have 4 of these still available

http://www.msnusers.com/LyreTailsAquari ... hotoID=599

I have made several improvements since this initial design so look through pictures on next pages
Last edited by LyreTail on Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:42 am, edited 17 times in total.
LyreTail
Obsessed!!

Post by LyreTail »

NOTE : I have discontinued this design below. Too much work to make them right and the removable top alows you to kick the male fish out easier.

Here is a rear end picture of my Lift gate design that was sparked from some things Barbie said .

OK Barbie UPDATE- This is my Modification - Just a temporary fix since I now think a removable top might solve the issue better than a removable back.
Last edited by LyreTail on Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

OK, first I'd like to say I love the work you've put into these caves! They are actually pleasing to look at, unlike mine!

Now to rain on the parade (not on purpose though!). In order to take that back door off, you'd probably mash fry badly. They will NOT get off that door and hang on against pressure. That is why I made mine totally removable. So I could then hold it under water also and lift it to make them get off.

I also like to have the caves tipped toward the back a bit. The fish don't mind and it keeps the males from kicking the eggs out when they get exuberant about parenting. Just my $.02 worth though. I do like the design, I just think you'll be happier with a couple mods to it. Once your fish spawn you'll see what I mean and there's just nothing that ruins your day faster than killing a zebra fry. Trust me, I know!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
LyreTail
Obsessed!!

Post by LyreTail »

On your first point - Yes I was a bit concerned about this as well. Yet, I could not figure a way to make it work otherwise and still have it easily removable. My experience with plecos is that they will move, so that if you were to lift the gate very slowly they would slide down. Perhaps I am wrong, but this has been my experience. I will have to contemplate a solution for straight out removable rear wall, but I am somewhat at a loss here unless I use some sort of stainless steel fasteners that will swing away. I will go to the hardware store tomarrow morning and see if I can find anything adequate for this modification. Drilling holes into the slate would be easier that slotting anyways.

On your second point. I can not picture what you are saying about the "tip to wards the back" Are you saying some sort of parallelogram shape? Or a rear piece that is at an angle and sticks farther out at the top, making extra room for the fry?
If that second one is the case, that will require extra work cutting angles into the rear of the slate walls, but it can easily be accomplished. I would probably want to angle the top and bottom of the slate for a more precise fit of the back wall.
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

sent you a payment for 2 just now, standard ones to see how they are etc, cheers :wink:
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

Rob (of the Neo variety) , How much are they to get them to the UK?
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

$15 per 2 m8
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

$35 for the 2 inc shipping, so £20 i guess
pandadosmares
Groupie

Post by pandadosmares »

Will you ship to Portugal?

if so how much for 4 caves L46 size
Thanks
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

fix the pics lol i've forgotten what they look like
LyreTail
Obsessed!!

Post by LyreTail »

Sorry - Pictures disappear when MSN does maintenance on their web sites.

Actually the price for shipping was a bit higher than I estimated. Mostly because I went over the 2 lb limit. The actual shipping weight including package for 2 caves+ the front porches, was 3 lbs and 9.90 oz. This brought the price up to $24 USD instead of $15 flat rate.
The clerk at USPS said shipping to the UK was pretty fast generally, because there are daily flights to London. Living in Scotland might take a little more time.

Shipping in the USA through USPS is a flat rate of $7.70 with the package included in price.

Shipping to Portugal - is $30 USD for economy rate for 7 lbs weight with a 4 to 6 week delivery date . I can get it there quicker, but it costs more
http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/immicl/immiclnr_021.html
So 4 caves would be a total of $70 USD (or 58.20 Euro) at economy rate 4 to 10 weeks delivery - 7lbs est. weight
Quicker option is for 4 caves at a total of $78.25 USD (or 65 Euro) For Airmail rate 4 to 10 days delivery. 7 lbs est. weight
Last edited by LyreTail on Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

The fry won't get out of the way, or perhaps my fry are the only retarded ones on the planet, who knows ;). As they get more scared, they just hang on tighter and pretend they're invisible ;).

I mean tip the cave back, like raise the front edge an inch or so, so that the cave bottom is slanted toward the back. I just set the caves on another piece of slate, personally.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
LyreTail
Obsessed!!

Post by LyreTail »

Neo - since you already paid - I sent them already. Don't worry about the extra cost this time. It is my fault for not giving you the proper quote. Basically you get one free cave.

Barbie - OK - sounds like more of a setup issue making them tilt rather than a manufacturing issue. I may be able to incorporate something in my front porch design to make this look better. I have to reduce some weight if I want to ship overseas. Weight seems to add a lot of cost to shipping. For people buying them overseas, not getting the front porch is a good idea to reduce shipping cost. They are the easiest part to make on your own anyways
Last edited by LyreTail on Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
LyreTail
Obsessed!!

Post by LyreTail »

Deleted message - Not offering lift gate anymore -

See the new popular removable top design on the second page of this thread :D Seems to be a hot seller and my Plecos like it as well
Last edited by LyreTail on Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

ok m8 cheers :wink: