Breeding Caves

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Tristan
Obsessed!!

Breeding Caves

Post by Tristan »

Having just set up a zebra tank with 7 inhabitants i would be interested to hear everyones thoughts regarding breeding caves and the types of materials that you use. I have heard of the 1" plumbing pipe and the ones constructed from slate and sealant but would llve some advice/ discussion regarding the most sucessful types. :)

Cheers

Tristan
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Tristan

I make my caves out of either old roofing slate, or those floor slates you get at the diy store. They are basically boxes witha an open end.

I will hopefully be posting some phot's later on.

The roofing slate is slightly easier to use, as the floor slates need to be cut with an electric tile cutter, or grinder.

I will put some info on how to make them over the coming days.

rob
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

Would small plant pots cut in half suffice for caves?
L046, L033, L117, L200, L027, L014, Discus, & malawis
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Tristan

I tried the small plant pot cut in half, and although my females quite often sit in them, they are not secure enough for the male. The male likes to be able to "wedge" himself into the cave, by extending his dorsal and pectorial fins.

The Plant pots juts seem to be a little too rounded!

chhers

rob

Post by Guest »

As well my male zebra pleco as my male bristlenose pleco like the simple PVC plumbing pipe.

Not very esthetic, but very efficient, as they like to cram themselves in a place they just fit in.

One end I seal of with a cap.
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

Above post is mine. Sorry, I forgot again to login.

Gabriel
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

I use both PVC pipe and Slate caves. The PVC is new but the slate caves actually came with the fish :lol:

From my reading and from what my "supplier" said the Slate cave is the better option.... for a couple of different reasons.

For instance.... like someone else mentioned.. the male likes nothing better (especially when breeding) than to wedge himself into the cave. Where as he can do this with PVC pipe.... the actuall surface of the slate seems to give him more of a grip helping the little fellas feel more secure.

Also from my readings, I have heard that the zebras "should" prefer the dark shades of the slate, so even if you do go down the road of PVC pipes..... try and get the black or greys instead of the white.
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

What size should the slate caves be depth ways and is it just the entrance that has to be zebra plec width? I am probably going to make my own caves and was wandering what dimensions they should be. THe only reason io ask is that if both male and feale are going to get upto lurvin they might need space to turn around etc. Thanks
L046, L033, L117, L200, L027, L014, Discus, & malawis
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I had tubes, ceramic, white inside, in the zebra tank ever since I got them (over a year ago).

Then I was given a cave made out of slate. It's about twice the length of the male, rectangular opening, just big enough to fit the male (with extended fins).

It took a week and I had my first spawn. Caves made out of slate seem to be the thing for my Zebras :)
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

In addition of I my post above; I use grey PVC pipes (in fact the only colour we have got over here, I never thought about the consequences of colour, but it seems to make sense that it shouldn't be too brigt-coloured).
Ingar Lode

Post by Ingar Lode »

I use hvite pvc pipes for my zebras, no problem with that.
Des
Mentally Certified!

Question for Rob

Post by Des »

Rob,

What do you use to cut your roofing slate?.
I have some roofing slate but am not too to sure how to chop it into neat pieces.

Regards,
Des :lol:
Last edited by Des on Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Des

I use an electric tile cutter with a diamond grit blade. If you want that natural look you can chip it with a slaters hammer.

rob
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

I just got myself some slate tiles at the weekend and I'm gonna try the normal tile cutter gizmo (not electric)... I'll post some pics up over the next couple of days and let you see how I got on.
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
DANthirtyold

Post by DANthirtyold »

i have made loads off caves using roofing tiles i got off my brother inlaw who is a roofer , and he has these cutters which cut the tiles like pair off scissors u get a straight cut with them, but after experimenting with the tiles i just prefer to smash the slate so u get more natural looking pieces and stick them together in some sort off cave formation i havent stuck to one size but made a load off differant shape and sizes put some pvc tubes in some with slate covering them i ended up making like a little landscape off lots off differant nooks and crannies for the zebbies to feel at home ,quite pleased how it come out in the end, as my first attemt just looked like unnatural boxes. when i get a digital camera i will post some pics.

P.S Make sure u have no sharpe edges on the slate as the fish could harm themselves