How about an auction?

How can we improve this forum, and the site as a whole?
gmwilsonuk
Forum Follower

How about an auction?

Post by gmwilsonuk »

I'm not sure if this has been asked or mentioned but here gores.....

Wouldn't it be a great idea if Zebrapleco.com started up a auction STRICKLY for L46's. With only registed users being allowed to use the auction.
While it being easy to register and become a member, other members would be able to give a little information on sellers, quality of fish and prices thus giving us Zeb-newbies a chance to purchase and own some while not being taken to the cleaners.....

Just a thought......

take care,
Stick your Chest Out, Keep Your Head Up And Handle It!
PLECO_MAN

Post by PLECO_MAN »

year that would be cool, i agree, also make it so an enternational, so eb=veryone around the world can participate!
dj_speed_uk
Groupie

Post by dj_speed_uk »

agreed
Nick
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Nice idea, and yes I can see it being of use later down the line.

I'm not sure if the site is quite big enough to justify such a resource at the moment. Plus I feel there would be a great deal or work required in order to manage and run the site.

We will certainly keep it in mind however.

thanks

rob :wink:
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

We need more admins and mods in other countries before we could pull that off as they would organize auctions in there country. I also think that would be necasary for the exchange program that people have sugested
Thebuddy is planning his tank
madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

Personally I don't think it would work... people who have L46 for sale are more likely to ebay them simply because they will get more $$$ for them.

It would be a nice resource to have on ZP, though the site needs to expand before we can discuss such a system.

If I was selling, I would definately sell here as oppose to ebay because I know the fish would go to knowledgeable homes... Still only time will tell if this idea is a success. And the opinion of the masses speaks volumes about an idea's viability.

Good luck. And I definately support this idea...

Bader
[img]http://www.geocities.com/madmoroccan/zebcam.jpg[/img]
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

I'm not sure that we need an auction. I have yet to auction off a single fry. I don't think I would, even if it was here. I have a long waiting list for my fish and I then offer people groups of fry as they become available. I do not sell singles, as that doesn't promote breeding attempts at a later date, and I take great pains to get the fish to their new homes.

I could definitely make quite a bit more money if I was willing to put them up for auction. My reputation makes it easy to sell my fish and I'm sure it would help them at auction, also. I have no interest in it. I know of at least 3 other breeders that don't list them in auctions either. We aren't all ogres. We just aren't able to come anywhere near spawning enough of these fine fish to provide for supply and demand.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

I never saw it from that point of view...

I guess if people knew I was spawning L46 (not yet anyway) my inbox would be full of PM's asking to buy fry...

I suppose reputation is important as well :wink: Our resident Dr Doolíttle... LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
gmwilsonuk
Forum Follower

Post by gmwilsonuk »

That is what I am trying to get at Barbie, you've never had problems selling your fish because your reputation for quality fish is flawless. I think most of use looking to own some L46's and maybe breed in the future would rather buy fish judged on reputation rather then how good a bargain it is.

Its why a place for an auction, sale at a fixed price or even an exchange program on this site would be a GREAT idea, as buying fish from the likes of yourself, maybe Rob and McEve would be so much more rewarding as we're guaranteed quality fish at a fair price.

I'm not saying by putting your fish in an auction, your looking to make a quick buck, but it would give us new guys a greater chance of owning top quality fish with the reassurence we getting the BEST for our money....
Plus, I think it would be a much quicker way to end in-breeding if there is any going on as this way, there would access to range of different fish with an exchange program.
Stick your Chest Out, Keep Your Head Up And Handle It!
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

I think there is possible potential for something like this but only if proper rules and regulations are implemented.
I can only speak for myself but when i come to sell my fry. I shall be (after I have re-paid the people who helped me get my group together)selling them through this site. However, I'm sure we are all aware that there are quite a few members who have joined this site..and before they have even asked a question about zebra's or introduced themselves, they've placed an ad in the sales and wants section asking for zebras. I would not be happy selling fish to these people (sorry). When I come to sell my fish it shall be to people I feel have made a contribution to this site, have posted questions asking about their care and generally shown an interest for longer than 5 minutes (at the moment when I sell my fry I'm thinking I'm only going to sell to people on this site who've made more than...say, 150 posts and been a member for longer than 3 months)

So at least from my point of view, an auction without rules and regulations where anyone can just become a member of the site and two minutes later buy cheap zebra's is not something I would be willing to enter.
lrry93
Obsessed!!

Post by lrry93 »

150 post in 3 months? The only person on here thats done that is Thebuddy. That seems like a high number. Theres alot of people like me that lurk more then post. I guess I have been posting alot lately though.
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

I never said a 150 posts in 3 months...I said 150 (or over) AND been a member for longer than 3 months, big difference there! :D

The point is I have seen over my time here several people who become members and only seem to post in the buy forum requesting zebra's and don't post in any other section of the site. They don't bother asking about their care, tank set-ups, breeding habits etc etc. This, at least to me, speaks volumes about the persons motives...and I would rather sell to someone who has shown wanting and passion by asking questions, taking part in the discussions (even if I don't agree with them) amd generally just proven themselves to be someone really wanting to breed them for the benefit of the fish and the hobby. Rather than someone who thinks they can make a quick buck.

I said a 150 just because it's a reasonable number...but I guess a hundred would do just as well. And I stated 3 months because generally the people I'm not wanting to sell fish to, don't ever last that long..Once they realise putting a post up doesn't guarentee zebs by next week they seem to get bored and dissappear. But that does't mean new ones won't apear while auctions are in progress....and until I see rules and regs I can't say whether an auction is something I would participate in or not.

I hope that clears it up for you.

Plastic Mac
madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

I agree whole heartedly (I know... I haven't been here that long!),

Well said Plastic. Good luck raising the fry... Am sure when the times comes you'll be adequately prepared to avoid the vultures! LOL :lol:

Sincerely

Bader.
trigger123
Forum Follower

Post by trigger123 »

here is an idea

you sign up, you make an auction account after youve signed up, you credit that account (what ever amount) then you can bid.

but if you are selling: you Must have both accounts, credited and then you place an austion up say 1ZP for $100USD (random amount) then you can choose who can bid e.g like most have been member for 2weeks or 50posts and so on. also when the auction closes Zebrapleco.com takes a sucess fee of $watever and uses it on the site for whatever... what about that!

just an idea!