BIG WATER CHANGE HELP

If you don't mind sharing them in order to keep these little critters breeding in captivity, chuck your hints and tips this way!

Jo's Zebs

BIG WATER CHANGE HELP

Post by Jo's Zebs »

Last year I hurt my shoulder and tore all the muscle in my right side ribs it was painful.
Everything was so difficult. My water changes became a nightmare especially for my 400L tank I dreaded it. I was all ready to sell all of my fish and tanks because I was finding it so difficult to keep them as clean as I always had, the pleasure had gone. I was at work one night with my mind wandering as usual and I remembered that I had bought a water pump for my hot tub a couple of years ago. I did'nt need it for the tub and had put it away unused in the loft and forgoten about it so the next day I got it out. I went to B&Q bought a standard garden hose and attached it to the pump threaded the rest of it into the garden.
The pump goes on the bottom of the tank at water change and once plugged in takes about 5 minuets to do a 50% water removal. No heavy buckets no mess just great.
Thought I would share this with you incase you ever find yourself in the situation that I was in. I am fully recovered now but stilluse the pump.
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Hi Jo, that's a brilliant idea :tup: I downscaled when I got sick for that very reason, couldn't keep up with the maintance :(

How's the inlet on the pump? Any chanse of a fish getting sucked in?
bonsai
Obsessed!!

Post by bonsai »

Hi Eve, my Dad does exactly same thing as Jo. It only takes him a few minute to do 5 tanks! And as for losing fish down the pipe, he just covers the end of the hose with a net which he secures in place with a rubber band. Easy as pie :D
These are beautiful little babes!
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

Hi the pump has a plastic gaurd and filter on the bottom where the water goes in so the fish can't escape. :lol:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

great! :D Does it still get debris and food leftovers without clogging the filter?
Jo's Zebs

water change

Post by Jo's Zebs »

No It only takes water out I still have to sypon a bucket of poo :wink:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

You knew what I meant :lol:
wood

Post by wood »

I've been breeding shrimp for a while now and the more species means the more tanks you must have. I have over 15 tanks at the moment (more to come) so I had to have a good system to change the water.

The best method I found is using an inline water pump with tubing. One end of the tubing going outside to drain and the other of course going into the tank to remove the water. The inline pump is fast and is great because you dont have to put it in the water. The only thing that gets wet is either end of the tubing. I can drain 40% water on 8 10g tanks in less than 15 minutes by just holding a tube in each tank and transferring the tube to the next tank.

Everyone has different methods of refilling their tank i.e. tap, r/o, etc. so there really isn't a set way to refill. It takes me a while to refill my tanks once drained because I use several filters (no RO) and the water line to refill is small so that the shrimp don't get ph shock.

Here is the pump I use (SEN 700 inline & submersible): http://www.kensfish.com/senwaterpumps.html

Also, in order to make the pump inline you will need to attached quick connect fitting (john guest fittings) to run the tubing. Take the pump to home depot and explain to them what you are doing and they will show you what fittings you need. Its really easy. Plus quick connect fitting and the pump itself are easy to disassemble and therefore easy to clean.
Andrew C
Obsessed!!

Post by Andrew C »

Some good ideas for draining a tank.

But to me a Python Gravel Cleaner is a great way to empty to your tank, they come in 25ft or 50ft sizes.
http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/catalo ... roduct1032
The only drawback i have noticed is fancy taps are not the best shape for connecting a python to.

When draining a tank with a Python it can have a very strong sucking action, and you just need to watch what your sypthoning when draining the tank, hold it an inch or two above sand and and it cleans the substrate well.
I have a Eheim pump with some hosing for filling tanks, but a python is great for empting and cleaning the substrate at the same time.
wood

Post by wood »

yea i have heard good things about the python except that you have to be careful preventing the python coming loose at the sink and creating havoc. the main reason why i like the inline pump is because it is very controlled and you can run the drain line as far as you want or run it through walls, etc.
pureplecs
Groupie

Post by pureplecs »

I like the pumps that don't have to be submersed and has a port to either pump water or suck water so I just put the pump where I drain the water and run a long hose to it and bam it's like done. I did need a bucket to pump the water from however because I did not have an attachment to the sink at the time when I utilized one, but now I just have a python and that works just as well I think. :D