Our first competition is - TAILS

This is just an excuse to satisfy our more competitive side. Everyone needs to take a little time out from saving the world, and have a bit of fun!!!! Watch this space!!!!!
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Our first competition is - TAILS

Post by McEve »

Hi all!

We all have a Zebra with that special pattern, or maybe a tail that is especially beautiful? Lets vote on the best looking/most unusual patterened tail!

The winner will recieve glory, honor and fame this time. Maybe we can get a sponsored prize for future competitions if it turns out you guys think competitions are fun :D

There are three different ways you can enter your pictures of that special tail:

1. Send the picture in a mail to catfish @ qtopia . no (remove the spaces)
2. upload them through web on http://comp.qtopia.no/ password this time is ...tails ;) then click the button shown on the picture to upload your picture:
3. Send a PM with a link to your picture if it's already on the web.

Include your username in the filename if you choose option 1 or 2, so that I know who belongs to who. If the picture is of the whole fish I'll cut the tail out of the picture for voting, then present the whole fish when the poll is closed.

Don't be afraid to upload large pictures, and... let those tails come this way! :lol:

The voting will commence October 10'th 1PM, that gives 4 days for submitting your fav Zebra tail.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hey McEve,

Nice to see that you got this one off the ground, it should be great. :D

I was wondering are Admins and Mods allowed to enter? No problem if not I'll just have to enter under a new username. :wink: :lol:

Adam
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

OK one question.

I assume it's only one picture per fish but are we allowed to enter more than one fish?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I think only I should be excluded, and yes, I think you should be allowed to enter more than one :)

Rules and regulation might come later if the competition gets "fierce" and people really get into it, but for now it's just for fun, so.... go for it - no restrictions, except one pic pr fish, and it must be your fish :D (freedom with responsibility attached to it ok LOL)

slight problem with option 2, will be solved soon I hope - darned computers :roll:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Option two should be solved and working for files up to 3MB now. Please let me know if you experience any problems with uploading the files. You should be able to see your file listed after you have uploaded it.

Another suggestion for the site, how about a category in the album for the competition winner(s)? I might be a bit ahaead of time in suggesting this, but hopefully you'll find it fun with competitions so that this can be a regular happening on the forum!
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Consider It Done!!! :lol: :lol:
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Jo
Obsessed!!

weird fry tail

Post by Jo »

Hi I have posted up 3 pics of the strangest tail I have ever seen (file dsc00484/489/491) it is on one of my fry, just wondering if anyone has ever seen anything like this??
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Nobody can see them until the poll is set up (except from me 8) ) but it is indeed very unusual!

Thanks you for entering your tail, Jo.

There's still room for more tails, so come on people, join in :D
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

Uploaded mine :wink:
10x L046 Zebs for now, more coming soon ;) 6x L199 Plecos, 6x L129 Plecos, 45x Cardinals, corys & shrimps

Check My Blog - http://zebrapleco.net
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Great! Your tail is recorded ;)

There's room for more, and remember - if you only have a picture of the whole fish I'll just cut the tail out for you, so send in the tail (Zebratail ;)) your most proud of! :D
Adam

Post by Adam »

Uploaded mine too. :wink:
alga
Groupie

Post by alga »

How variable is the overall pattern in zebra's? The "tails" seem to show a lot of variation. Or better yet, how many of the tails in the poll are wild versus tank-bred?

Does anyone have the description of the "type" specimen, from the collection location?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

alga wrote:How variable is the overall pattern in zebra's?
Very variable. All my Zebras have unique patterns, which makes it easy to distinguish one speciment from the other. And it's not always the tail, most have the normal horisontal stiped tails, but show variety in irregular stripes, broken, combined, thin or thick stripes. and so on.

I have both WC and F1.

L98 is comsidered an especially spotty/wavy patterend L46, but as we have seen on several occation on this forum the stripes can change on an individual after damage or illness, so I'm not so sure it's correct to classify them as L98 or L46 based on the pattern alone, as it seems to be now.
alga
Groupie

Post by alga »

Thanks for the reply. I could understand how a pattern could change after injury, but pattern change after illness would seem to be under "control" by the organism. Where may I find pictures of pattern change after injury?

If the only major difference between 46 and 98 is pattern, and pattern is variable (tail, illness, injury) probably the only way to determine is to analyze the DNA.

It would be intersting to see what genes are "active" after an illness or injury, that cause the pattern change....now I just have to get money for the research :wink:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

alga wrote:Thanks for the reply. I could understand how a pattern could change after injury, but pattern change after illness would seem to be under "control" by the organism. Where may I find pictures of pattern change after injury?
http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1011 Barbies male

and

http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=744&

Which is by the way returning to normal now, without any further injuries. Kinda sad... I liked that circle she had on her side :)

I've been pondering about what's causing this too, just plain old pigmentation, or is it something else...? Interesting :)