L236's or Not?

You can post piccies of your fishies here!
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

L236's or Not?

Post by Raul-7 »

I recently got three L236's and I wanted to make sure they are infact it.

Here's the best picture I could get of one of females; unfortunately all I had was a Nokia camera phone. :oops:

du ma
Obsessed!!

Post by du ma »

they look like my L287s
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

But Blue assured me that it was no doubt L236; he is very reliable person. Not to mention the pictures I've seen of L287 reveal a more bulky backside and the pattern is much more condensed; can you show me pictures of your L287?

Hopefully Sven can chime in on this.
Frontyking
Obsessed!!

Post by Frontyking »

According to my Aqualog Raul, you have L236.

HTH

Nick
[url=http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=doctorze]Vote for zebrapleco.com here[/url]
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

Frontyking wrote:According to my Aqualog Raul, you have L236.

HTH

Nick
Thanks Nick! You really relieved me of my doubts. :D
Frontyking
Obsessed!!

Post by Frontyking »

Glad to be of help mate.
[url=http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=doctorze]Vote for zebrapleco.com here[/url]
Sven T.
Groupie

Post by Sven T. »

Hi,

regarding this picture it is not possible to say something. If you would force me to guess I would say it is a juvenile L399 or L400.

99,9% of the sold L236 are L399/L400.

Some weeks ago I visited Ingo Seidel. There I saw my first L236 in real ... but I was very disappointed about the colouration and the pattern. I have had much better looking L400 in my tanks.

Do we know what number it was that A.Werner had in his hand as he labeled it as L236? No - we don't!

Sven
KenW
Obsessed!!

Post by KenW »

Hi Sven T.

Did you happen to get a picture of Ingo Seidel's L236. I would love to see it and compare. Out of curiosity, how did you know it was a L236?

I suspect that the ones I've purchased in the past 2 years as L173, L340, L236, L98, and L287 are all perhaps L399 or L400.

Thanks,

Kenneth
Sven T.
Groupie

Post by Sven T. »

Hi Kenneth,

no, I made no picture of it. There were too much other really interesting fish. I don't know if it was one ... I just saw a part of this pleco. I think when Ingo says that it is one it will be true! :) A picture of this you can see in Wels-Atlas II S. 593 Abb.3.

Sven
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

Thanks everyone. If the L399/L400 are more attractive than the L236; then is that picture of it on http://l-welse.com mistakenly identified? And I don't mean to be rude, but is the pictures of L236 on http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/ (Sorry Smith :wink: ) actually L236?
Sven T.
Groupie

Post by Sven T. »

Hi,
Raul-7 wrote:Thanks everyone. If the L399/L400 are more attractive than the L236; then is that picture of it on http://l-welse.com mistakenly identified?
I wouldn't say that in this way. Of course the L236 shown on l-welse.com from A.Werner is one of the greatest looking plecos we have ever seen. It is important to say that the pictures shows a juvenile one and they loose a bit of their attractiveness when they get older. Even does not every specimen look like the other and the picture shows a very good looking one.

Sven
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

Sven T. wrote:Hi,
Raul-7 wrote:Thanks everyone. If the L399/L400 are more attractive than the L236; then is that picture of it on http://l-welse.com mistakenly identified?
I wouldn't say that in this way. Of course the L236 shown on l-welse.com from A.Werner is one of the greatest looking plecos we have ever seen. It is important to say that the pictures shows a juvenile one and they loose a bit of their attractiveness when they get older. Even does not every specimen look like the other and the picture shows a very good looking one.

Sven
Thanks again Sven. It seems that the link above isn't working properly, as the pictures aren't loading as they used to.

Do you mind showing us one of your adult L400's? Please! :D
Sven T.
Groupie

Post by Sven T. »

Hi,

here you can see one of my adult L400. The colour variates. When they are stressed they look grey - when they feel good the colour is more white. The pleco was very stressed at this photo.

Sven
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

Thanks Sven! :D

One of the juvenile females I have is not as colorful as the other two; she doesn't seem stressed but she (her scales) looks more "armored" compared to the other two. I heard this a characteristic of male L400's, but she isn't hairy at all. :shock:

Sven, do you find that they chew on driftwood? How large do they grow (12 or 15cm)?

I really like their behavior because they aren't as skittish as L046 - although I find them nervous whenver they hear the cabinet door open - the good thing is that they don't mind eating during the day if they find food. Not to mention they are very peacful, sometimes my Cherry shrimp actually help clean their pectoral fins without them moving! My only problem with them is that they poop a ton! :wink:
Sven T.
Groupie

Post by Sven T. »

Hi Raul,
Raul-7 wrote:I heard this a characteristic of male L400's, but she isn't hairy at all. :shock:
it is not (yet) possible to difference sexes on the pattern and the colouration. I had about 50 of them in my hands. There are some differences in pattern but I don't know yet how to describe them and this characteristic does not fit always.
Sven, do you find that they chew on driftwood?
No, they don't. All other Hypancistrus don't too. But what they so is to hide under driftwood so i would always do some driftwood in the tank.
How large do they grow (12 or 15cm)?
I think they will get only 12cm. I saw adult males that had this size. I. Seidel thinks they will get up to 15cm.
I really like their behavior because they aren't as skittish as L046 - although I find them nervous whenver they hear the cabinet door open - the good thing is that they don't mind eating during the day if they find food. Not to mention they are very peacful, sometimes my Cherry shrimp actually help clean their pectoral fins without them moving! My only problem with them is that they poop a ton! :wink:
I share your opinion over their behavior. They are really majestic. It's a real pitty that I had to sell my group. :cry:

Sven